• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,393 posts

Posted July 09, 2006 - 09:42 AM

The NY Post and a short update on the Freep's web site says that Shanny signed with the Rangers, spurning better offers from both the Wings and the Habs.

This gives me that same feeling as when Fedorov left and took less money, that somehow, after all this time, the Wings are suddenly not good enough for him?

#2 choyer

choyer

All-Star

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted July 09, 2006 - 12:18 PM

As far as I am concerned, Shanahan has pulled the biggest dick move next to Ben Wallace leaving for Chicago. In my opinion, this is a worse scenario. Let's compare this to the Fedorov situation. Fedorov believed that he could carry the RedWings, he thought he was the entire team. Fedorov left Detroit to play in Anaheim and Columbus and managed less then 10 goals per season.

The Shanahan situation might end up the same. Shanahan left Detroit for no apparent reason. He most likely thought he was the team, even though the reason he scored 40 goals was because of Lidstrom, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg. He will play in New York, but I can guarantee he will not score over 20 goals this up comin season.

In my personal opinion, I think Shanahan went to the Rangers so he could be closer to his wife. Think about it, he was only considering offers from East Coast teams (excluding St. Louis). And considering that he lives in Massachussetts, this is the only logical reason that I can comprehend. Seriously, what other reason besides family issues would keep you from wanting to play in Hockey Town?
Posted Image[indent=1][size=3]

#3 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,393 posts

Posted July 10, 2006 - 09:34 AM

:hockeysmiley:

I can't decide if this is a "dick move" or not. Like I said, it feels like when Fedorov bolted (not like Wallace's move, at least Shanny didn't say he was disappointed by Detroit's offer) but Fedorov was always so arrogant it was easy to dislike him, which made it easier to be p*ssed at him when he left.

Shanahan's been a nice guy while he's been here, it makes it harder to be p*ssed off.

#4 SYfanSD

SYfanSD

Legend

• Members
  • 2,381 posts

Posted July 10, 2006 - 11:03 AM

Clark what is your prediction for a replacement since Guerin went to St Louis?
Posted Image

#5 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,393 posts

Posted July 10, 2006 - 11:54 AM

I've got nothing. I was certain that Shanny would re-sign since I thought the Wings would have gone after Guerin if they knew they couldn't keep Shanny.

Now, I think it means that Bootland's got a spot on the team and the Wings will make more of a push for Michael Peca. Either that or they're really changing the direction of the team.

#6 choyer

choyer

All-Star

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted July 10, 2006 - 12:47 PM

They should bring up Don MacLean and Daryl Bootland to give them some experience. These are Detroit's open positions.

Goalie (1 position)
Defenseman (1 position)
Forward (3 or 4 positions)

For goalie I would trade Kris Draper for San Jose's goalie Vesa Toskala or Evgeni Nabokov, both Toskala and Nabokov are young and could be signed for a long term contract. For the open defensemen I would sign Danny Markov from the Nashville Predators. Danny Markov plays a physical game but doesn't get too many penalties. He is nearly comparable to Vladimir Konstantinov, but not quite as tough. I would bring up Don MacLean and Daryl Bootland to fill 2 of the Forward Positions. I would also sign Michael Peca to take up a Forward Position. He is an excellent player that could nearly take the place of Shanahan. For the last forward position I would sign either Sergei Samsonov or Anson Carter. Anson Carter seems more probable since he has the most goals out of any Free Agents left ont he market. He scored 33 goals last year for the Vancouver Canucks.

#7 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,393 posts

Posted July 10, 2006 - 01:02 PM

I like that thinking but I would expect San Jose to want more for Toskala. Nabokov is more likely to be available but he's also expensive. Of the goalies left out there, Martin Brion of Buffalo is at the top of my list but I have no idea what the asking price for him is.

The only other issue I see is that one of the forward spots will have to be taken by Jiri Hudler, he can't go back to GR without passing through waivers.

#8 choyer

choyer

All-Star

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted July 10, 2006 - 01:19 PM

They could trade Draper, Maltby and Draft Picks for Toskala, then there would be 2 more open forward spots that could be filled by Hudler and Fillpula or Kopecky.

#9 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,393 posts

Posted July 10, 2006 - 01:53 PM

If I'm the Sharks, I don't go for that deal, but I see where you're going with it.

I'm not sure if I like a move like that. After losing Yzerman and Shanahan in a week, I feel like the Wings need to hold on to all the guys left from the Cup runs for as long as possible. The other side says to dump them to speed up the inevitable rebuild.

#10 SYfanSD

SYfanSD

Legend

• Members
  • 2,381 posts

Posted July 10, 2006 - 09:27 PM

Clark, I think that part of the reason Shanny left was because in his own mind he was the team and once he found out he was not going to be Stevies successor he felt compelled to leave. But he only signed for a year, he could have second thought s after that, however I don't see the fans forgiving him. And the rebuild is now a reality
Posted Image

#11 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,393 posts

Posted July 11, 2006 - 09:43 AM

I really don't think that's the case 'cause there were a lot of people who speculated that Lidstrom would be the next captain with the caveat that Shanny might not return. If it was for sure that he was coming back at that point, more people would have called for Shanahan to be the next captain.

#12 SYfanSD

SYfanSD

Legend

• Members
  • 2,381 posts

Posted September 07, 2006 - 09:10 PM

XM 204 reports that Jagr is being considered for the C, however if he turns it down Shanny is possibly their next choice.
Posted Image

#13 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,393 posts

Posted September 08, 2006 - 05:24 AM

Yeah, head coach Tom Renney mentioned Jagr, Shanahan and Kasparaitis as the captain candidates in a New York Post article yesterday. Wouldn't be the first time Shanahan showed up on a team and immediately stepped into a leadership role.

#14 SYfanSD

SYfanSD

Legend

• Members
  • 2,381 posts

Posted September 08, 2006 - 02:11 PM

Case and point is the Whalers in the Mid 90's
Posted Image

#15 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,393 posts

Posted September 08, 2006 - 04:40 PM

And the Wings, he got the "A" before even playing a game here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advanced Forum Search

Current Forum Discussions

Forgot Your Password?