• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 xojoe

xojoe

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted May 17, 2006 - 12:16 AM

i think defense was the real problem for detroit, too many small defense men, not enough scrappers

lilja i think was the best, chelios the worst, with no one doing anything amazing. trade/retire 2 minimum. lidstorm is good but 5.6 million good?
Jiri Fischer was greatly missed. and to a lesser extent i was sad to see darren mccarty leave

in nets... well im not going to say i saw any incredible saves and the percentage was bad, but they faced tough shots on opportunities that shouldnt have been allowed. soln:play offense for 30 games, see who can really stop shots, play 2 goalies in a game routinely, why isnt this done? never hear of a relief goalie i guess.

forwards, draper and shannahan id like to blame for lack of performance but thats not fair when no1 preformed.

yzerman, incredible player, incredible carreer, if he plays 1 more year ill be thrilled, if not ill still like detroit

Edited by xojoe, May 17, 2006 - 12:26 AM.

#2 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,168 posts

Posted May 17, 2006 - 06:03 AM

Most people that I've seen (myself included) would switch Lilja and Chelios there. Lilja was a step behind through the playoffs and actually managed to drag Lidstrom down as the Oilers would manage to get the puck into the Detroit zone by going through Lilja's side of the ice.

#3 SYfanSD

SYfanSD

Legend

• Members
  • 2,343 posts

Posted May 17, 2006 - 10:21 AM

As long as you can keep stevie, even if he is on the bench he makes everyone around him better just by sheer presence
Posted Image

#4 xojoe

xojoe

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted May 17, 2006 - 08:37 PM

i dont get to watch enough games to be very critical, but i was disapointed in the defense in general, if chelios is the leader he is not leading.

lidtrom id say is a fine offensive defensmen, but you need ppl on the penalty kill, or who can get the puck off the boards. or plain muscle the other team. lack of hitting was a real proplem, you know your going to get the penalities anyways, i say earn them. i dont mean be out right dirty, but i think we played far too clean. lets earn the penalties the refs give us anyways.

#5 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,168 posts

Posted May 17, 2006 - 10:05 PM

lets earn the penalties the refs give us anyways.

I love that line!

Oh, and a belated :D

#6 OriginalSix

OriginalSix

Rookie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted May 18, 2006 - 05:33 AM

Perfect!

Listen, does Detroit really need to improve on their defence?

Okay, maybe in a few areas on the line, but overall, maybe a few more sharp shooters up front can win alot of games in the new league.

That's what Ive seen thus far, anyway.

#7 SYfanSD

SYfanSD

Legend

• Members
  • 2,343 posts

Posted May 18, 2006 - 01:32 PM

I think the only change we need to make is hitting. People should have to pay to cross the blueline
Posted Image

#8 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,168 posts

Posted May 24, 2006 - 08:01 AM

Agreed that people should have to pay to get into the Detroit zone, the problem is that it's tough to do that without giving up the transition game that the Wings had been so good at.

The Freep reports today that Cheli has been re-signed for next year. Since he came cheap, I've got no problem with it.

#9 SYfanSD

SYfanSD

Legend

• Members
  • 2,343 posts

Posted May 24, 2006 - 07:55 PM

This is where we are missing somebody like Hatcher, While I agree that we don't need to sacrifice our transition game it would be nice to have somebody like Scott Stevens because the presence of a roughneck can buy you some more space.

By the way, does anyone miss Ken and Mickey?

Edited by SYfanSD, May 26, 2006 - 12:48 PM.

Posted Image

#10 SYfanSD

SYfanSD

Legend

• Members
  • 2,343 posts

Posted May 28, 2006 - 04:55 PM

After reading the Chelios signing article I have to agree with Yzerfan about him being on the ice till someone drags him off. However why does Shanny have an interest in Boston? They wern't even close to cup material this year. Does he desire to be the Captain? If he does and Stevie decides to retire, he has a good chance in Detroit. Will we keep Lidstrom? He is an icon with the Red Wings and I can't imagine him in another sweater. As far as the upgrade in goal that kid of a damned if you do damned if you don't because you lose the best defensman in the league if you upgrade in goal and you run the risk of another 1st round exit if you don't. In my opinion goal should be our priority but let's not lose our star players either. Any thoughts on a potential net minder?
Posted Image

#11 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,168 posts

Posted May 28, 2006 - 05:16 PM

Apparently Shanny's wife is from the Boston area and has family there, or something like that. And the Toronto papers always say he'd want to come home and sign with the Leafs (not that they don't say that about every player from the Toronto area).

#12 SYfanSD

SYfanSD

Legend

• Members
  • 2,343 posts

Posted May 28, 2006 - 08:41 PM

Toronto is just looking for a reason to get people on their bandwagon, BIG SURPRISE THERE!!! :rolleyes:
Posted Image

#13 SYfanSD

SYfanSD

Legend

• Members
  • 2,343 posts

Posted May 28, 2006 - 08:47 PM

Well if it is a case of the boss having family in the Boston area it may be hard to stay in Detroit. He did say on XM radio that for the rest of his carrer he would only sign one year deals to keep his options open. If he retires with us he has a good chance of seeing #14 in the rafters at the Joe!
Posted Image

#14 xojoe

xojoe

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted May 30, 2006 - 01:10 AM

look at edm and buffalo, both have relatively little talent, with large size, and young skaters.carrolina has a mix of young talent and veterans.

size and youth mix in with lax officiating=stanely cup finals.

some of the stuff these teams are getting away with is pretty bad ie lifting mask/net, hitting goalies and afew but not many unclean hits. basically the 2 most aggressive teams are left, buffalo and edm.

don cherry says u can just cycle the puck forever, big deal eventually u shoot it , this might work at defending a lead by hogging the puck time, but it wont neccesarily win u games. to win games u have to win battles for the puck after the shot, or the shoot in.

detroit has too little youth, too little size. they can make nice passes but they simply dont win enough battles in the boards. show me one good hit in the playoffs for detroit. i think one example of a weak call was a diving/roughing combo i mean common its one or the other. its pathatic when they try to call a game even in penalties when one team isnt earning them.

earn your penalties, where is probert

#15 SYfanSD

SYfanSD

Legend

• Members
  • 2,343 posts

Posted June 03, 2006 - 09:14 PM

We may have too little youth and too little size but we have a whole lot of raw talent! Our only weak point is goal and some of our defense. Notice we were the only team not to be shut out the entire season. We need 3 things:

Goaltending
Enforcers
Kerry Fraisers retirement papers

You get that we are back in the finals
:rolleyes:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advanced Forum Search

Current Forum Discussions

Forgot Your Password?