• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 catmandu

catmandu

Grinder

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted March 15, 2006 - 07:54 PM

I'm surprised to see Osgood starting tonight. The general opinion seems to be that when Osgood has a bad game, he sucks. When Legace has a bad game, he needs rest. All I'm saying is quit hatin' on Osgood.
Who are you and why are you so perky?

#2 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,148 posts

Posted March 15, 2006 - 08:21 PM

He made some big stops in the first tonight, hopefully he keeps it up 'cause the Wings' offense just quit after Schneider's goal.

#3 hotwings14

hotwings14

Rookie

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted March 16, 2006 - 12:13 AM

I'm surprised to see Osgood starting tonight. The general opinion seems to be that when Osgood has a bad game, he sucks. When Legace has a bad game, he needs rest. All I'm saying is quit hatin' on Osgood.

nice 2 meet another loyalist :lol: :blink: yipes.. everyone is pickin on ozzie, waaaaaaaahhwahhhh, waaaaaaah.. you know ozzies a great backup. just not made of the same material anymore. :therock:

I can openly admit when manny has a bad game. but you have to look at it from an all points perspective. the defense needs improvement and both goalies need alot of work. that is my unbiased oppinion. please give it up. i dont think anyone is hating on ozzie just cause hes not number one.

but i have seen it in the hockey news, he was written down as being a backup the rest of his career. I need to find that article. :blink: maybe that would help you see... :lol:

#4 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,148 posts

Posted March 16, 2006 - 08:45 AM

I'll reply on catmandu's behalf since she did not take kindly to being labeled a "loyalist" or the idea that seeing something printed in The Hockey News would suddenly make her change her mind (more on that below).

The issue isn't whether Osgood or Legace is better, it's the double-standard that they're held to. In the Chicago game thread, we had two people blaming Osgood for a goal that there's no way Legace would get the same criticism on.

The saying is that the hardest positions in sports are quarterback for the Detroit Lions and goalie for the Detroit Red Wings. If that's the case, then the easiest position would be their backups.

People loved Osgood when he was the backup. Hodson and Maracle, too. Same for Legace. Even when he was the starter, Osgood was praised during the 1998 Cup run. Osgood only started being scapegoated when the team stopped winning Stanley Cups. After the fact, people say that the win in 1998 was despite having Osgood in goal. We'll see if that kind of thing happens to Legace.

Now into my thoughts about which one is better...

Legace's been the better goalie this year, no doubt about it. I still think they're being used wrong, though. That Osgood is better when he gets more minutes and that Legace has never had to go through the wear-and-tear of a full season as the starter is undeniable. In my opinion, they should be splitting the starts. Maybe not evenly, but more evenly than it's been this season. This keeps both goalies fresh through the regular season and allows Babcock to go with a healthier Legace in the playoffs. With Osgood playing more, he'd play better than he has this season, and with Legace getting more rest, maybe he wouldn't have had that second injury earlier this year.

On the "THN says it so it must be true" idea... TSN currently has Legace's career potential listed as "No. 2 goalie" while Osgood is projected as a "No. 1A goalie." I agree about Osgood, not about Legace. As I detailed above, I think they're both a "1A" goalie.

Of course, none of this will matter next year, since either Osgood or Legace will be out (probably Osgood, unless someone throws big money at Legace) so that Howard can come up. And then he can be the next beloved backup until he takes over as starter.

#5 hotwings14

hotwings14

Rookie

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted March 16, 2006 - 07:02 PM

hey i dont care either way. id just rather see manny in net. but thats just me. :blink: anyway, i dont care that much abnout whos in net all that matters is the w.

ps i dont think you have to defend someone. im sure that person can handle the post :blink: besides if anyone took that personal im sorry :therock:

Edited by hotwings14, March 16, 2006 - 07:09 PM.

#6 SYfanSD

SYfanSD

Legend

• Members
  • 2,343 posts

Posted March 17, 2006 - 04:43 AM

Since I like to get down on Ozzie so much, try this one! Ozzie does have a lot more experience in the playoffs and finals than Manny does. Yzerfan has a point about having the rotation split up a little more evenly to keep both of them in better game shape. A lesson can be learned from the way the Wild did buisness with Fernandez and Roloson. Who knows if Manny will be able to take the full pressure of the later playoff rounds. And having Ozzie ready to go will be a plus. :blink:
Posted Image

#7 hotwings14

hotwings14

Rookie

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted March 17, 2006 - 06:15 PM

Since I like to get down on Ozzie so much, try this one!  Ozzie does have a lot more experience in the playoffs and finals than Manny does.  Yzerfan has a point about having the rotation split up a little more evenly to keep both of them in better game shape.  A lesson can be learned from the way the Wild did buisness with Fernandez and Roloson.  Who knows if Manny will be able to take the full pressure of the later playoff rounds.  And having Ozzie ready to go will be a plus. :blink:

all im saying is switcha roos arent any good. trust me. I have seen things like this happen too many times :blink: they play both , then there is struggles. the team need to stick with a main guy ; ya play him (the backup, osgood )every once in a while.

But i think after this season we are prolly gonna say good bye to one of the two goalies. :therock: :lol:

Edited by hotwings14, March 17, 2006 - 06:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advanced Forum Search

Current Forum Discussions

Forgot Your Password?