• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,267 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 09:59 AM

The Red Wings' season could end this afternoon, as they face a 3-1 series deficit heading into Game Five in Boston.

Jonas Gustavsson will get the start in net for Detroit, as Jimmy Howard still has the flu, though rumors abound that he may have actually been concussed from a knee to the head in Game Three.  Howard won't even be available to serve as backup as he nominally did in Game Four, so Jake Paterson has been called up from the Grand Rapids Griffins.

In another lineup change, Daniel Alfredsson is expected to return after missing two games due to a back injury.  There's no word on who he would replace.

If the Red Wings were to lose Game Five, it would just be the second series in their history that they lost in five after winning Game One.

Stupid stat of the day: In the nineteen previous times Detroit has gone down 3-1 in a best-of-seven series, the Red Wings are 7-12 in Game Five.

Game time is 3:00 PM on NBC.

#2 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,267 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 12:54 PM

And the last-minute update is that Ouellet is in for Kindl, Alfredsson replaces Bertuzzi, and Howard is well enough to back up so Paterson is out.

#3 OldBroad

OldBroad

All-Star

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 03:40 PM

We need a little puck luck...think maybe we wasted our allotment in game 4....

#4 OldBroad

OldBroad

All-Star

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 03:45 PM

Hope...now let us play smart...maybe Boston will collapse....

#5 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,267 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 05:16 PM

I'll put together some more complete thoughts later but for now...  As I said before, the Red Wings could have beaten the Bruins in this series.  It would have taken a nearly perfect series to do so, but they could have.

They didn't. Needing perfection, they were sloppy and looked tired.  That's all a team like Boston needs to pick you apart, and they did exactly that to Detroit.

So the Wings are done.  They'll look different next year (I'll have more on that in the coming days, that's for sure) but the good news is they learned a ton this season, so when they're back they'll have the benefit of that.

#6 OldBroad

OldBroad

All-Star

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted April 28, 2014 - 09:38 PM

Watching the other series in the playoffs, I am of the opinion that the Wings would do fine in any of them. None of the other series look remotely related to the games the Wings played....I suspect that Boston will run rough-er shod over the rest of their opponents, while I sincerely hope that does not happen because then that's the way everyone will be building teams (to look like the Bruins which is, to me, a most boring style of play). I look back at the Boston/Vancouver SCF a few years ago, and I am sorry that Vancouver has never recovered from that loss while Boston reached the finals again last year and will probably be champions (without some very creative and inconsistent officiating along the way) again this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advanced Forum Search

Current Forum Discussions

Forgot Your Password?