• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,150 posts

Posted January 20, 2011 - 12:29 PM

Reports out of Canada say that the Detroit Red Wings are close to signing veteran goaltender Evgeni Nabokov.

No official announcement has been made by the team but Renaud Lavoie of RDS tweeted that the deal has been finalized and Nabokov is on waivers.

Having started the season in Russia, Nabokov would have to clear waivers before he could join the Red Wings, meaning every team in the NHL would have a shot at claiming him.

If he does sign with the Red Wings and is claimed by another team, Detroit would not be on the hook for any of his salary. This situation has occurred twice this season, when the St. Louis Blues first signed Marek Svatos, then Kyle Wellwood, only to have them claimed by the Nashville Predators and San Jose Sharks, respectively.

The Red Wings have very little cap space but do have some flexibility to make a move due to the injuries they've suffered this season. Chris Osgood's cap space could be allotted to cover Nabokov's contract until Osgood returns.

#2 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,150 posts

Posted January 20, 2011 - 10:29 PM

@DetroitRedWings confirms that it's a done deal. Nabokov goes on waivers at noon tomorrow.

#3 drwmike33

drwmike33

All-Star

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted January 21, 2011 - 11:33 AM

I really doubt he'll clear. :cursing: I hate re-entry waivers. It's stupid!
Posted Image

#4 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,150 posts

Posted January 21, 2011 - 12:13 PM

Technically, this is standard waivers, not re-entry. Either way, it's weird.

The rumor now is that New Jersey (who has first waiver priority) will claim Nabokov and then deal him back to Detroit. In the meantime, Joey MacDonald has been sent back down to GR and Jordan Pearce has been called up to back up Jimmy Howard against Chicago tomorrow.

#5 drwmike33

drwmike33

All-Star

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted January 21, 2011 - 03:32 PM

That would be nice... but what does NJ get out of the deal?
Posted Image

#6 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,150 posts

Posted January 21, 2011 - 04:10 PM

Apparently not enough, as the Devils have announced they're not claiming Nabokov. Same for Washington. Two down, 27 to go.

#7 DetroitRiver

DetroitRiver

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 538 posts

Posted January 21, 2011 - 09:23 PM

27 teams? I think not. Do all have the cap space? Not all have a need for a goaler. Even if some see the opportunity to hurt Detroit, the no-move clause is just as likely to hurt them. I'm giving it 50-50 right now. A weak position to take but it's better now that NJ and D.C. passed.

#8 Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Legend

• Members
  • 1,618 posts

Posted January 21, 2011 - 10:30 PM

This may be a dumb question, but do they put a time limit on how long each team gets to decide? Or do they get to take their time?

Posted Image

#9 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,150 posts

Posted January 21, 2011 - 11:05 PM

Waivers are for 24 hours, noon to noon. So we find out in about 13 hours.

#10 DetroitRiver

DetroitRiver

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 538 posts

Posted January 22, 2011 - 07:53 AM

Well, since I'm going to the game today. I wonder who may be wearing the first Nabster sweater (if he is signed)?

#11 klaitinen

klaitinen

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 941 posts

Posted January 22, 2011 - 09:42 AM

What team will bone the Wings? I wonder if the Sharks would seeing as they just put a Goalie on IR.

jerseys.png

#12 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,150 posts

Posted January 22, 2011 - 11:18 AM

I'd originally said the Hurricanes were my favorite to make the claim but with the Isles goalie troubles I say he ends up there before Carolina gets a chance to get him.

The only way he ends up in Detroit is if his agent has been secretly telling every other team "Look, he wants to play in Detroit, if you claim him he won't report." And I don't think that's happening.

And since you could see that coming a mile away, why did Ken Holland take the time? "Worth a shot" isn't how he usually operates.

#13 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,150 posts

Posted January 22, 2011 - 12:06 PM

Goaltender Evgeni Nabokov has been claimed off waivers by the New York Islanders.

Nabokov was signed by the Detroit Red Wings to a one-year deal on Thursday. Because he started the season in Russia, he had to be placed on waivers on Friday before he could join the Red Wings.

The Islanders already have three goalies on the roster. Rick DiPietro is currently ill and Nathan Lawson left Friday night's game with a knee injury. Kevin Poulin finished in net.

Nabokov was not expected to clear waivers, as his $570,000 salary and lack of performance-based bonuses was not enough to prevent other NHL teams from being interested in him.

With Nabokov lost, the Red Wings will likely call Joey MacDonald back to Detroit to back up Jimmy Howard. Jordan Pearce will back up Howard in Saturday's matchup with the Chicago Blackhawks. Chris Osgood is expected to return from sports hernia surgery in mid-March.

#14 klaitinen

klaitinen

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 941 posts

Posted January 22, 2011 - 12:58 PM

Islanders are filthy. Like anyone wants to play there :)

jerseys.png

#15 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,150 posts

Posted January 22, 2011 - 02:45 PM

As proven by Nabokov, who says he won't report to Long Island.

#16 catmandu

catmandu

Grinder

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted January 22, 2011 - 02:46 PM

Why would he? He didn't sign a contract with them.
Who are you and why are you so perky?

#17 drwmike33

drwmike33

All-Star

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted January 22, 2011 - 04:30 PM

Isles have 2 choices: Suspend him and basically leave him alone or put him on waivers. By dealing him away, he would have to clear waivers again, so no matter what happens, they're screwed. I hope they waive him again. Maybe other teams will realize that he only wants to play in Detroit. He wants to play for a team where he has a chance to win the cup.
Posted Image

#18 Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Legend

• Members
  • 1,618 posts

Posted January 24, 2011 - 09:41 PM

This may be another dumb question, but this topic intrigues me cause I haven't paid any attention to situations like this before, but what are the purpose of waivers? I understand the off season waiver stuff a little bit, but what is the point of this when Nabokov obviously wants to play with Detroit? Is it to give the other teams a fair chance? And it appears as though no one had an interest in him before, it just doesn't seem very fair. Or is there something else behind this whole waiver thing?

ed;
I guess the gist of what I'm asking is is this only around to make it "fair" for the other teams? Because it doesn't seem fair in this case and I'd like to know more about it.

Posted Image

#19 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,150 posts

Posted January 24, 2011 - 09:52 PM

The rule about players who started the season in Europe and then sign in the NHL (like Svatos, Wellwood and Nabokov) is to prevent teams from grabbing an elite Euro just for the postseason run. The Oilers did this in the 80s with Reijo Ruotsalainen. He played the light European schedule all year, then came over at the end of the NHL season well-rested and ready to go for the playoffs.

#20 Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Legend

• Members
  • 1,618 posts

Posted January 24, 2011 - 10:18 PM

That puts everything in a different light now, thank you! How long do the Islanders have to decide what to do with Nabokov?

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advanced Forum Search

Current Forum Discussions

Forgot Your Password?