Posted February 06, 2010 - 11:51 AM

Red Wings Trade Leino to Flyers

#2 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,305 posts

Posted February 06, 2010 - 12:38 PM

It doesn't look like we've seen any quotes out of Detroit on the Ville Leino trade just yet so I'm basing my thoughts purely on assumptions at this point.

Ole-Kristian Tollefsen only makes $200,000 less than Leino so this move alone doesn't solve the Red Wings' cap problems. Add in the fact that the Detroit blueline is already overloaded and you can see another move is coming.

The way I see it, there are two possibilities.

Tollefsen was acquired simply to be bought out, much like the Boston Bruins did with Patrick Eaves last summer. From what I understand, buying out Tollefsen means the Wings will have shed $500,000 from this year's cap. Still not enough but a start.

The other option is that Tollefsen takes over as the Wings' depth defenseman making both Brett Lebda and Derek Meech expendable. If that's the case, the Wings will have dropped $1.333 million from their cap this season, a decent number.

This move was not about talent or potential or a need at a given position, simply a financal deal.

#3 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,305 posts

Posted February 06, 2010 - 12:53 PM

I'll also throw out there that if Tollefsen plays a game for Detroit he'll wear the cursed #21, unless Lebda gets moved before then in which case he'll take #22. His usual #55 is unavailable, of course.

The Wings of late have given their newest players numbers that belonged to players moved during the season. Justin Abdelkader inherited #8 from Matt Ellis. Brad Stuart got #23 from Brett Engelhardt (who never actually played for the Wings but was assigned that number out of training camp before being traded for Francis Lemieux). Drew Miller got the #20 that Brad May wore for a game.

As the #21 is the only jersey worn this year by someone no longer in the organization, I think it's prime to be given to Tollefsen.

#4 SYfanSD

SYfanSD

Legend

• Members
  • 2,368 posts

Posted February 06, 2010 - 01:00 PM

What is the latest on Kronwall? I was out all week.
Posted Image

#5 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,305 posts

Posted February 06, 2010 - 01:07 PM

Kronner is back on Tuesday, out today. Was about to post that in a GDT for today but the trade broke.

#6 SYfanSD

SYfanSD

Legend

• Members
  • 2,368 posts

Posted February 06, 2010 - 01:19 PM

Kronner is back on Tuesday, out today. Was about to post that in a GDT for today but the trade broke.

Good to know. I saw the injury report however, I couldn't find anything that said how long he was out.
Posted Image

#7 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,305 posts

Posted February 06, 2010 - 01:20 PM

I'm seeing some reports that Tollefsen has already been waived and will be sent to GR if he clears. That puts the Wings down Leino's full $800,000 cap hit.

#8 fitch.1918

fitch.1918

Power Forward

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted February 06, 2010 - 03:56 PM

I read an article on ESPN that said the Wings immediately put Tollefsen on waivers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advanced Forum Search

Current Forum Discussions

Forgot Your Password?