14 replies to this topic

#1 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,299 posts

Posted December 20, 2009 - 05:19 PM

Title stolen from Baroque over at A2Y.

So anyone who reads A2Y, Snipe Snipe, Dangle Dangle, or is multilingual and is a fan of Red Wings Brasil is already familiar with Guilherme, owner of the last of those blogs.

A longtime poster at A2Y, "Herm" has never been to the US, let alone to Detroit for a Wings game. The Chief wants to change that. The official Bring Herm to Hockeytown campaign is on.

The "19" from A2Y will be in attendance at the March 26th Wings - Wild game. If enough money can be raised, that will include Herm.

With the holidays upon us, I'm not asking anyone to make a donation. This time of year there are many more important causes being highlighted and I'm not trying to take anything away from those.

That said, if you're interested in being a part of something fun and relatively unique, take a look. I've RSVPed for the game so there'll be a DH.N contingent. Let me know if you'll be there.

#2 stonehands78

stonehands78

Rookie

• Previewing
  • 1 posts

Posted December 21, 2009 - 07:25 PM

Thanks for spreading the word.

#3 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,299 posts

Posted December 21, 2009 - 10:05 PM

Any time.

#4 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,299 posts

Posted January 03, 2010 - 01:04 PM

The Chief has posted another round of updates on the H2H campaign. Some of the highlights:

$2000 has been raised thus far and that's expected to cover all of the expenses. Anything else that gets donated will go to the Red Wings Wish Club.

A site specifically dedicated to the H2H campaign is in the works.

This is growing very big. The Chief was on XM Home Ice last week and apparently the league itself is getting involved. It's one of the coolest things I've seen a bunch of people get together to do so even if you can't donate to the cause I'd love to see as many people as possible at the game.

#5 pasha13

pasha13

Grinder

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted January 03, 2010 - 04:18 PM

I haven't been around much this season but I do want to say something about this.

While this "H2H" thing is noble and all that, there are a lot of fans that don't get to go to games for whatever reason. Just because a guy is in Brazil doesn't mean he's more important than anyone else.

I grew up outside of Detroit but I've bounced around the country a bit since then. I've never been to a live Red Wings game. Am I less deserving of a trip to the Joe because I live far away but not far enough away?

Bringing this guy to Detroit is cool and all, I just don't want all of the other deserving fans out there to be overlooked.

#6 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,299 posts

Posted January 03, 2010 - 05:24 PM

Posting from my phone so this is the short version...

I agree completely. The most extreme cases often overshadow the lesser ones.

That said, I see Britishwingsfan reading this right now and think he's in a boat pretty similar to Herm.

I've got a couple ideas, I'll look into them and follow up later.

#7 rrasco

rrasco

Power Forward

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted January 05, 2010 - 01:18 PM

I agree as well, there are lots of us out there. I live in South Texas, that's about as far away from the D you can get and still be in the States. I'm lucky if I get to watch the game at all, thanks to NHL Center Ice, I can. However, I did make my way up to Hockeytown for game 5 of the finals last year for my first Wings game. What a great game that was. I try to get to the Wings games in Dallas, hoping to be there 1/16. I was planning a trip to PHX for the most recent game to double as a visit with my cousin. Did anyone notice how many Wings fans were at that game? The Wings scored and the whole damn crowd jumped up, at Jobing.com Arena.

I envy those of you who get to go to games, I contemplated moving up there just so I could get season tickets. =D

#8 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,299 posts

Posted January 05, 2010 - 01:42 PM

I was at Game Five last year, too. Hell of a game for your first trip to the Joe.

I keep saying I won't leave the state because I need to be close enough to go to games a few times a season. It came close once but for now isn't an issue.

I'd like to know if there are any people from here who could make it to Detroit for the H2H gathering but for whom the cost of the ticket is an issue. I'm working on something related to that but I don't know if it'd be any use or not.

#9 rrasco

rrasco

Power Forward

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted January 05, 2010 - 02:29 PM

For me, it's not the cost of the game ticket, it's the cost of the trip...and getting off of work. It ran me about $800 to go that game, $500 for airfare and $300 for a ticket. I had free room and board at my uncle's in New Boston. Not exactly cheap for one game, but well worth it IMO. Luckily that game was on a Saturday, so I took off Friday and flew in, game Saturday, home on Sunday.

Yes, it was a hell of a game. I need to go to a regular season game so I can soak it all in and roam around the Joe a little more. Actually, I want to make it up there a week there are 2-3 home games and hit them all up at once. I did get to exchange a few words with Ted Lindsay while I was there though, so that was awesomely remembersome.

#10 pasha13

pasha13

Grinder

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted January 12, 2010 - 06:16 PM

I wouldn't be able to come to a game even if the trip were free, I have committments that keep me from travelling very much. I'm okay with that, I made a decision that makes a trip like that unlikely but it's just a game.

I can guess that there are people out there like me who aren't as limited, though, even if there aren't any here. I don't think that should be overlooked.

#11 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,299 posts

Posted January 12, 2010 - 06:27 PM

I agree that they shouldn't be overlooked. Unfortunately (and surprisingly, to some) I don't have the reach to do much about that.

I may have a free ticket to the H2H game if anyone needs it but that's the best I can do. I put out a couple feelers on an idea I had and came up empty.

I have to say, I'm starting to have concerns about the H2H campaign. It has accomplished the original goal, which I still think is cool as hell, but now we're hearing things like Herm is going to be interviewed on FSN during one of the intermissions and think we've gone far enough.

The guy is a fan, not a celebrity. This was about giving him an opportunity that many (but obviously not all) other Wings fans have, not about raising him above the rest of us.

And the Chief is teasing some new big surprise in relation to H2H. Interesting.

#12 rrasco

rrasco

Power Forward

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted January 15, 2010 - 06:10 PM

Yeah, Herm will be on the bench during pregame warmups. Lucky SOB if you ask me. I'm happy for him though, not envious.

I'll be in Dallas for the game tomorrow, so I can't complain, because I do have *some* opportunities to attend games. This was last minute though, just bought tickets an hour ago and have to drive 5 hours to go, but eff it, it's the Wings!

#13 Stormo

Stormo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 994 posts

Posted January 15, 2010 - 11:00 PM

Posting from my phone so this is the short version...

I agree completely. The most extreme cases often overshadow the lesser ones.

That said, I see Britishwingsfan reading this right now and think he's in a boat pretty similar to Herm.

I've got a couple ideas, I'll look into them and follow up later.

Not a Wings fan, but I would contribute to bringing Brit over and be happy to go the game with you guys...Habs/Wings...let's make it happen!

temp-3.png

Memorial Trophy Champions - Season 22

Soelberg Trophy Champions - Seasons 14 and 22 

Inauguration Cup Champions- Season 21

Unwritten DFHL Rule - Don't be an asshole.

#14 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,299 posts

Posted January 29, 2010 - 08:00 PM

The official Herm 2 Hockeytown site is up and running.

#15 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,299 posts

Posted March 24, 2010 - 10:24 PM

FYI, if anyone is interested in making last-minute plans to go to Friday's H2H game a few people have had to cancel so their seats are available. My extra seat is taken but I think four more popped up due to people having various accidents over the last few days.

Be there for the live podcast featuring every Wings blogger except for me. :) And if you're coming down I-96 from the West, let me know, I'm driving and I've got two open seats.

Apparently you're supposed to contact Jen MacRostie for details. I don't like posting people's email addresses so I'll link to a page that posts her email address. http://www.herm2hock...to-contact.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advanced Forum Search

Current Forum Discussions

Forgot Your Password?