• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,171 posts

Posted August 06, 2009 - 10:11 AM

After watching five players leave their team during the first month of free agency the Detroit Red Wings made their second move in three days on Thursday, signing forward Jason Williams to a one-year deal.

Williams broke into the NHL with the Red Wings in 2000 and was with the team until a 2007 trade that sent him to Chicago for Kyle Calder. Since then he has also spent time with the Atlanta Thrashers and the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Williams is the second forward the Wings have signed this week, joining Patrick Eaves, who signed a one-year deal on Tuesday.

In 376 career games, Williams has 85 goals and 120 assists.

Financial terms of the deal were not announced.

#2 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,171 posts

Posted August 06, 2009 - 10:22 AM

I definitely liked the Eaves signing more than this one. I hope to god Williams isn't used on the point for the second power play unit. Stuie looked fine there when he got the chance, use him.

#3 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,171 posts

Posted August 06, 2009 - 01:10 PM

$1.5 million?! Are they f*cking nuts!? Sykora and Satan and Tanguay had better sign somewhere for at least $3M each.

#4 drwmike33

drwmike33

All-Star

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted August 06, 2009 - 03:43 PM

Ughh...

He better play like he deserves it.
Posted Image

#5 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,171 posts

Posted August 06, 2009 - 07:09 PM

I'm unsouring a bit on this deal as the day goes on. It's not that I have anything against Williams, I just don't think he's worth that much and I don't think he should be used the way people are already talking about using him.

And there's also the fact that signing a known quantity in Williams takes away from some of the buzz of of the Eaves signing. Eaves is an unknown. An almost complete unknown given he's spent his entire career in the East, and it generated some chatter. Eaves is a project. Williams isn't controversial, isn't expected to do a ton, and his deal means the Wings aren't bringing in anyone else.

#6 choyer

choyer

All-Star

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted August 06, 2009 - 11:15 PM

I like this signing. Williams will be a nice fail safe for the 2nd forward pairing. This gives Babcock potentially 4 players for the second line with the likes of Franzen, Filppula and Leino. Eaves will start on the 3rd line, but could and will probably see time on the second line depending on performance. Worth the $1.5M? debatable. However, I think Williams has improved since his first stint with the Wings, and I won't be surprised to see the kid put up decent numbers. Another plus, the guy is a shoot out freak. Overall I rate these two signings fairly well, but of course only time will tell.
Posted Image[indent=1][size=3]

#7 Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Legend

• Members
  • 1,619 posts

Posted August 07, 2009 - 01:57 AM

I like this signing because I was upset when they traded Williams. I actually remember that happening, for once! :D So it is nice to see him again!

Posted Image

#8 bigred4478

bigred4478

All-Star

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted August 07, 2009 - 04:44 AM

Holland is obviously confident in Mule,Hank and Pav having huge year's Fillpula should be ready to step up and have a breakout year as well and hopefully Helm show's us the great hustle from the playoff's i'm dissapointed in them not making a run at Sykora,Satan or Tanguay but we have long survived on "role player's" around 4-6 star's i think i like the William's signing a bit more than Eaves but the pricetag that came with him shocked me to be honest if Eaves can get it going again though he showed great promise early on in his career but has had injury issue's if i'm not mistaken i could be wrong
Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advanced Forum Search

Current Forum Discussions

Forgot Your Password?