• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,095 posts

Posted December 27, 2008 - 08:58 PM

Chris Chelios enters the lineup for his second game of the season tonight, replacing the injured Nicklas Lidstrom.

The Avs will be without leading scorer Paul Stastny and captain Joe Sakic, who are both out with injuries.

Chris Osgood says he's ready to return to the Detroit crease but he will sit tonight in favor of Ty Conklin.

Programming reminder, this game is on Fox Sports Plus.

#2 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,095 posts

Posted December 27, 2008 - 09:19 PM

Ugh. PPG for Colorado. I thought the traffic of everyone rushing out from behind the net might have had something to do with it but looks like that was a few seconds earlier. Deflected off Maltby's skate.

#3 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,095 posts

Posted December 27, 2008 - 09:29 PM

Avs with another power play goal, this one on an absolute bullsh*t call on Kopy.

#4 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,095 posts

Posted December 27, 2008 - 09:39 PM

As I just announced over at A2Y, I'm turning the game off now. The Avs just scored twice on power plays from penalties that had no right being called in this game.

The NHL won't do anything about it's awful, inconsistant reffing until people start to turn games off because of it. Tonight, I'm doing my part. See you guys later.

#5 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,095 posts

Posted December 27, 2008 - 10:38 PM

The wife made me turn off the Xbox and check the game. The Wings promptly scored three goals to tie things up. I'm back in for the rest of this one I guess.

#6 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,095 posts

Posted December 27, 2008 - 11:31 PM

Well, that's at least a point for the Wings.

#7 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,095 posts

Posted December 27, 2008 - 11:36 PM

"Just wide as Draper let it rip."

Surprising no one.

#8 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,095 posts

Posted December 27, 2008 - 11:40 PM

Hrm. Shootout. Okay then.

#9 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,095 posts

Posted December 27, 2008 - 11:48 PM

Saw that coming. All Wings from the second period (by all accounts, at least) on but the Avs get two points thanks to the gimmick. Yeah, I still miss ties.

#10 RideTheRedWave

RideTheRedWave

All-Star

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted December 28, 2008 - 03:07 AM

No need for ties. Anyways Wings looking better on 5v5. Goaltending still a problem but then again what can you do when you have to kill off penalties that should've never been called. Many teams records are better or worse thanks to all these horrendous calls. The Wings have the third best record in the league and I think they're the 4th best team as we speak, Blackhawks cannot lose right now. Although its not even half way through the season, the next two games versus the hawks will be a good indicator of how good the wings are right now. Blackhawks are on fire, wings are doing alright and are getting hit with injuries, lets see how they do. I think blackhawks will win both games, but barely.

#11 RideTheRedWave

RideTheRedWave

All-Star

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted December 28, 2008 - 03:10 AM

The wife made me turn off the Xbox and check the game. The Wings promptly scored three goals to tie things up. I'm back in for the rest of this one I guess.

Strange how I went to play games too after that first period to let the steam subside, only to come back and watch at the end of the second period, all tied @ 3-3.

#12 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,095 posts

Posted December 29, 2008 - 05:14 PM

I've talked a couple times about the Red Wings not deserving some of the points they've gotten this year. Games where they just happened to "turn it on" for long enough to get a couple goals and pull out a win or force OT. Had Saturday night's game ended with a Detroit victory, I think that might have been another one of those times.

Supposedly the reason for introducing the shootout in the NHL was that the fans demand to see a winner and a loser in every game. Ties apparently leave everyone feeling unsatisfied. What happens, though, when neither team deserves to win?

The Red Wings were awful (no matter what I think of the officiating) in the first period against Colorado. The Avalanche were horrible for the rest of the game. Why should either of these teams be awarded with an extra point?

If the shootout is for entertainment, have one every game. Have two or three, maybe at the start of each period to get the goalies warmed up. I have nothing against them as entertainment, they're very fun to watch.

My problem is what happened on Saturday (and what has happened other nights this season in Detroit's favor). If a team can turn in one good period and coast to a win from there, good for them. The same if a team can bounce back from a bad period, play the rest of the game well, and get the win. I just think that if you try to do that and don't win, you don't deserve the extra chance the shootout offers.

#13 RideTheRedWave

RideTheRedWave

All-Star

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted December 30, 2008 - 03:11 AM

If a team can turn in one good period and coast to a win from there, good for them

From what I've seen majority of these games are won and lost based on a period where anytime contact is made and these chincy penalties are called, then the other team gets bailed out just to make it fair (a.k.a. one bad call deserves another). Thats why I believe the playoffs will tell a different tale when teams get to play more hockey rather than 5on3, 5on4 for whatever reason half the time not even knowing what was called and just letting it go by the way side. Wings playing better 5on5 right now, which is a good sign. As for the games where a team doesnt deserve a point, that usually is a sign of a team that will lose the next game. Wings came close last game so usually that means they're playing better which may be a good thing come next game. ANYWAYS enough of this, its not even the half way point, let the mayhem subside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advanced Forum Search

Current Forum Discussions

Forgot Your Password?