• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,279 posts

Posted December 04, 2008 - 03:23 PM

The Red Wings will keep the same lineup they beat the Anaheim Ducks with on Monday as the Vancouver Canucks visit the Joe tonight.

Tomas Holmstrom says he could play tonight but is being kept out of the lineup as a precaution.

The Canucks, having lost their past three games, will start Curtis Sanford in net.

Hall-of-Famer Igor Larionov will be honored before the game. The Canucks were Larionov's first NHL team and the Red Wings were the team he won three Stanley Cups with.

#2 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,279 posts

Posted December 04, 2008 - 07:41 PM

Ugh, Canucks score on the first shot.

Should Ozzie have been faster with the glove? How did that turn into a three-on-two?

#3 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,279 posts

Posted December 04, 2008 - 07:47 PM

Fantastic passing play by the Griffins Line. Incredibly smart for Fil to pass it off, Kopy with the quick tap pass, and Hudler is on fire.

#4 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,279 posts

Posted December 04, 2008 - 07:57 PM

Huds again. Wow. Just wow.

Great pass by Lilja to spring Hudler. Two defenders hooking him and Hudler still gets a real nice shot off.

And on that note, I'm out for now, I've got a soccer game to get to and will catch up later tonight.

#5 Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Legend

• Members
  • 1,624 posts

Posted December 04, 2008 - 08:33 PM

Hudler's looking stellar :)

Happy to see him doing well lately.

Posted Image

#6 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,279 posts

Posted December 04, 2008 - 09:57 PM

Caught the end of the first and most of the third on the radio. Sounds like the Wings were buzzing early but the Canucks have turned it up of late.

#7 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,279 posts

Posted December 04, 2008 - 09:58 PM

f*ck me, that's not a high stick. One-goal game.

#8 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,279 posts

Posted December 04, 2008 - 10:01 PM

Lame, lame call on the Canucks. Wow.

#9 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,279 posts

Posted December 04, 2008 - 10:04 PM

Wings hold on to win. I'll go back and review what I missed but it sounds like a very un-Wings-like win but a win nonetheless.

#10 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,279 posts

Posted December 04, 2008 - 10:34 PM

I'm rewatching the parts of the game I missed right now. Wellwood's power play goal in the second was absolutely awful. There's no excuse for Osgood to not have that post. Painful.

#11 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,279 posts

Posted December 04, 2008 - 11:34 PM

Over at A2Y, Bill is ranting about tonight's 6-5 Red Wings win over the Vancouver Canucks. I don't think things are quite as dire as he does but I think there are definitely questions about Detroit's play this season.

On Vancouver's first goal I asked, "Should Ozzie have been faster with the glove? How did that turn into a three-on-two?" My later notes are similar.

Blown defensive coverage on Raymond for the third goal or bad lateral movement by Osgood?

Vancouver's fourth goal: Bad rebound or missed clearing attempt by Lidstrom?

The questions raised by three of the Canucks five goals helped me realize why I haven't been able to put a finger on one thing that's been wrong with the Wings' play this season. It's not one thing, it's a combination of defensive lapses and weak goaltending.

If Osgood is faster with his glove it doesn't matter that there was a three-on-two. If the Wings change faster there's no three-on-two so Osgood doesn't need to be faster with his glove.

If there's no blown coverage on Raymond, Osgood's lateral movement doesn't matter. If Osgood's quicker moving right to left he makes up for Raymond being open.

The problem we've been seeing all year is that for some reason the Red Wings continue having these full-team momentary lapses. A "perfect storm of suck" if you will.

That said, the defense has made some great plays and Osgood has made some big, big saves. About 3:00 into the second period tonight Osgood had a great stop on the Sedins. These things shouldn't be forgotten.

Bill says trouble is coming. I say it's here but I'm not ready to worry about it. Moments of brilliance have been shown, it's just a matter of the Wings pulling it all together into one complete effort.

#12 SYfanSD

SYfanSD

Legend

• Members
  • 2,362 posts

Posted December 05, 2008 - 04:55 AM

I agree, if it was ot forour high powered offense baling us out we would have been screwed in several other games.

Check the facts:

Our GA differential is not what it was a year ago and Ozzie's GAA is in the gutter. Part of that can be blaimed on him however, part of that can be blamed on the defense hanging him out to dry. Mr. Norris just does not look like his normal self either.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advanced Forum Search

Current Forum Discussions

Forgot Your Password?