• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,154 posts

Posted September 30, 2008 - 03:51 PM

Hey, the Red Wings are actually on TV tonight! And it only took to the midway point of the exhibition schedule. Go FSN!

Oh, and it's also on the radio for people who are away from a TV but close enough to Detroit to get AM 1270.

It looks like we'll see the people I'm most interested in, if Khan's roster is right...

(Forwards)
Holmstrom-Filppula-Hossa
Kopecky-Draper-Maltby
Abdelkader-Helm-Leino
Ritola-Emmerton-Downey

(Defense)
Rafalski-Kronwall
Lebda-Lilja
Quincey-Chelios

(Goalies)
Howard (whole game)
Larsson

Hossa, Kopecky, Abdelkader and Leino were the guys I wanted to see in exhibitions. Hossa because he's the new guy, Kopecky because he's coming back from injury, Abdelkader 'cause he's the local guy and Leino 'cause he might be another one of those brilliant Red Wings moves.

A couple game notes... Start time is 7:30. FSN will be airing a special about Dan Cleary's time with the Cup at 7:00 (likely to be re-aired 108 times over the next month or two given FSN's usual airing habits).

Oh, yeah, and don't be surprised when the Wings step onto the ice with straight nameplates on their jerseys, no one ever remembers but the team does this every year during the preseason. The vertically-arched lettering will return on October 9.

#2 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,154 posts

Posted September 30, 2008 - 06:44 PM

Early penalty on Lang. Makes me smile. :welcome:

With Lidstrom, Datsyuk and Zetterberg out tonight, two As are available. I think Samuelsson and Kronwall have them but I haven't been able to tell yet.

Edit: Sammy's not in tonight, must have been Draper I saw. Also now think it was Chelios, not Kronwall.

#3 Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Legend

• Members
  • 1,618 posts

Posted September 30, 2008 - 07:21 PM

Early penalty on Lang. Makes me smile. :welcome:

Edit: Sammy's not in tonight, must have been Draper I saw. Also now think it was Chelios, not Kronwall.

I SAW THAT! I about cried rivers of joy :D You don't understand.

Kronwall has one, for sure. Or so my dad saw. :D No report on anything else.

Does anyone know where Bryan Smolinski went? He was my hometown hero, but he's not a hab anymore. I've tried to find stuff on him, but couldn't.

Posted Image

#4 Britishwingsfan

Britishwingsfan

Legend

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted September 30, 2008 - 07:29 PM

Only managed to catch bits and pieces of the game, not enough to comment.

Does anyone know where Bryan Smolinski went? He was my hometown hero, but he's not a hab anymore. I've tried to find stuff on him, but couldn't.

Unrestricted free agent at the moment.

#5 Britishwingsfan

Britishwingsfan

Legend

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted September 30, 2008 - 07:43 PM

Howard made a great save to prevent it from being 2-0. And Leino scores to tie it up!

#6 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,154 posts

Posted September 30, 2008 - 08:05 PM

I stopped watching to watch House. I'm back at the start of the second right now so my comments will be delayed a bit.

#7 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,154 posts

Posted September 30, 2008 - 08:10 PM

Wow, that first (only?) Montreal goal was crap. Just fluttered past Howard? He's looked a little shaky tonight, moving kinda slow.

#8 Britishwingsfan

Britishwingsfan

Legend

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted September 30, 2008 - 08:10 PM

I think I'd better stop watching now. No point in killing myself for a pre-season game.

#9 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,154 posts

Posted September 30, 2008 - 08:12 PM

Wow, Howard proves me wrong with that big stretch.

#10 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,154 posts

Posted September 30, 2008 - 08:13 PM

Nice hands by Leino on the goal. And a smart move to not overthink it. They keep saying he needs to learn to think faster.

#11 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,154 posts

Posted September 30, 2008 - 08:25 PM

Montreal cranks one off the post. Wings catch a big break.

#12 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,154 posts

Posted September 30, 2008 - 08:51 PM

Chelios leaves the game with 15:00 left in the third. Knee injury after blocking a shot, didn't look good.

#13 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,154 posts

Posted September 30, 2008 - 08:55 PM

Oh my god, Price just made a huge save. Backhanded out of mid-air. That's at 12:27 remaining.

#14 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,154 posts

Posted September 30, 2008 - 08:59 PM

Big kill by the Habs with about 10:00 left. Three straight blocked shots or so. Wings power play is awful tonight but minus Lidstrom, Zata, Pavs, Franzen and Hudler that's to be expected.

#15 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,154 posts

Posted September 30, 2008 - 09:04 PM

Quiet night in here as we go to overtime (realtime, I skipped the end of regulation to get caught up). I feel a shootout coming.

#16 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,154 posts

Posted September 30, 2008 - 09:12 PM

Ha! Penalty coming to Raffy at the end of overtime and the clock stops early. I expect better in Montreal. :)

Leino is the first shooter.

Edit: Holy crap that was a hell of a shot.

#17 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,154 posts

Posted September 30, 2008 - 09:14 PM

Lang beats Howard to put the Habs up 2-1. f*cking Lang.

Edit: And the Canadiens get the shootout win.

#18 Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Legend

• Members
  • 1,618 posts

Posted September 30, 2008 - 09:22 PM

I HATE LANG >:) Why can he magically produce all of a sudden? I hope something bad happens to his career :D

Oh well, I'm happy it was a shoot out loss, and to the Canadiens instead of a crappy team. Had it been Anaheim, I would have been fuming. :) (not saying they're crappy, but it seems like those games are at the hands of the refs)

Posted Image

#19 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,154 posts

Posted September 30, 2008 - 09:41 PM

I'm not disappointed with tonight's loss. The couple things I took away from it...
  • Jimmy Howard was solid overall but I think the shaky moments were painfully obvious. There was a point in the first where he let a rebound right out into the slot as he slid out of the crease. Actually, it felt like he was giving up a ton of rebounds in general. For the most part, though, he was following the puck well.
  • Ville Leino definitely has NHL-calibre hands. He has to learn how to battle for the puck, though. He looked good on the rush but seemed to not know where to go once the Wings were in the offensive zone.
  • Kyle Quincey is the odd-man out on defense right now. He was not noticible out there, even after Chris Chelios went down.
  • The line of Leino, Justin Abdelkader and Darren Helm seemed like it was out there every other shift.
  • Helm is insanely fast. There was a play in the first where it felt like he didn't so much skate around a defender as he did teleport to the other side of him. He's that quick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advanced Forum Search

Current Forum Discussions

Forgot Your Password?