• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,154 posts

Posted April 17, 2008 - 01:22 PM

According to Bruce MacLeod, Chris Osgood will get the start as the series shifts back to Detroit for Game Five on Friday.

There could also be more changes to the lineup, with the decisions coming tomorrow.

#2 choyer

choyer

All-Star

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted April 17, 2008 - 02:10 PM

It's about damn time! Hasek is complete garbage now. He better not be resigned next year.
Posted Image[indent=1][size=3]

#3 RideTheRedWave

RideTheRedWave

All-Star

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted April 17, 2008 - 06:07 PM

I think this could be a twist of fate for the wings. Wings look confident with ozzy in net. He's improved alot. I remember him being known for giving up goals in "waves" in the playoffs, lets hope he can stymie the preds, I believe he can.

As for other changes I think that should take place...

MEECH in for STUART
ABDELKADER in for HARTIGAN or MCCARTY (hate to say it)

Move FILPULLA to FOURTH LINE as Center

I really think we need fresh legs, some of the guys in the lineup "hit the wall" after rejoining the lineup. NEED TO ADD SPEED ON DEFENSE!!! Oh and need to run 4 lines, not 3 lines.

I begin to realize how much we miss Kopecky as a fourth line grinder.

#4 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,154 posts

Posted April 17, 2008 - 08:48 PM

I don't think things need to be drastically shaken up. I would go with Abdelkader over Hartigan, though. If I make any change on defense, it's Ericsson for Lebda. I like Lebda more than Lilja, and Meech more than both, but Ericsson most of all of those four.

#5 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,154 posts

Posted April 18, 2008 - 11:36 AM

Darren Helm will replace Mark Hartigan on the Red Wings' fourth line in Game Five tonight.

"Really excited and nervous at the same time,'' Helm said. "There's a lot of young guys up, being one of the first guys to jump in definitely means a lot to me, gives me some confidence that they believe in me.''

Mike Babcock had previously said he had no worries about playing Helm or Justin Abdelkader in playoff games, as they've been in high-pressure situations before (Helm in the World Junior Championships and Memorial Cup, Abdelkader in the Frozen Four).

I would have gone with Abdelkader but Helm's not a bad move either.

#6 foster016

foster016

Grinder

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted April 18, 2008 - 12:18 PM

He should have gone with Abs, much more physical. He lives for these kind of games, plus he can shoot the puck.

#7 fitch.1918

fitch.1918

Power Forward

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted April 18, 2008 - 12:37 PM

As much as I get frusterated with Dom, Osgood scares me just as much. He started the season out great but after the all star game...which he got lit up he hasn't looked the same. Being at home should help the cause knowing that a majority of the fans probably want this to happen anyway. One or two big saves right away and the fans should be behind him all the way. Wings still have home ice advantage lets just hope they protect it. I don't think any other changes are really a must, the bottom line is those top 3 lines need to produce hands down. Yes the 4th line could make a difference but the top guys need to produce thats what their payed for.

#8 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,154 posts

Posted April 18, 2008 - 01:21 PM

I think Helm's addition is more to give that bottom line some speed to help them recover from their f*ckups than to help them score. Hartigan lost faceoffs all over the place in Game Four, he needed to go. Now, if Mac gets caught up, Helm is quick enough to get back to cover for him.

And I think that's why he's in instead of Abdelkader. It's not more grit that the Wings need (though it probably wouldn't hurt), it's speed. It's not that Abs is slow, it's that Helm is faster. Wonder how their faceoff prowess matches up.

#9 Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Legend

• Members
  • 1,618 posts

Posted April 18, 2008 - 02:02 PM

Why!?!?!??!?!?!?! ): They play Helm in the game I won't see T_T

Is it only on Versus, or is it on FSN, also? D:

&& yes, Hartigan really needed to go =/

Posted Image

#10 choyer

choyer

All-Star

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted April 18, 2008 - 02:40 PM

I dont believe playoff games are broadcasted on FSN. Generally all of the games are played on versus, with the exception of a few being played on CBC, the Canadian Broadcasters.

It's not a question whether or not which goalie is better than the other. This decision is purely to try and force a momentum swing. The predators have all the confidence in the world right now, and they think they've found a way to consistently beat Hasek. With Osgood in net they will need to find new methods to score, and I dont think Osgood will get continually beat from outside shots as much as Hasek has. I believe this to be an excellent switch, and the Wizard will rise to the occasion. Osgood's change from Standup to the Hybrid style has allowed him to cover more of the net while not compromising speed and agility. He was prone to getting beat from far out on his old style, but his new adaptation has seemigly paid some great dividends. Look or Osgood to come out strong and only get beat by quality scoring chances. I personally dont invision Osgood pulling a Patrick Roy in Game 7 of the 2002 finals, so there should be no worries with this move.

The substitution of Darren Helm in for Mark Hartigan is also a good move. Although we are losing grit, we are tremendously gaining speed, which was stated by somebody before me. The Red Wings have much more speed than the Predators, and it's about time we use it to our advantage. Overall, the biggest thing Detroit needs to improve on is face-off percentage. If we can once again dominate the face-off circle, then we will be home free.

#11 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,154 posts

Posted April 18, 2008 - 04:15 PM

The game is on Versus nationally, FSN Detroit where available. The local broadcasters are allowed to carry the first two rounds of the playoffs even if it's on Versus (but not if it's on NBC).

Agreed about faceoffs. Draper keeps getting his ass kicked by Arnott (who Ken and Mickey won't stop reminding us is one of the guys Draper hates going up against).

#12 choyer

choyer

All-Star

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted April 18, 2008 - 05:18 PM

To be honest I had no idea that Arnott was that amazing at face-offs. At least now they are back at home and have the luxury of last line change. So they can decide when to place Draper out there. That way he is not up against Arnott.

#13 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,154 posts

Posted April 18, 2008 - 06:31 PM

Anyone else nervous as hell? Yeah, thought so.

#14 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,154 posts

Posted April 18, 2008 - 06:34 PM

Legwand and Arnott are both out. Langfeld and Bochenski are in. Wings have to take advantage of this.

#15 Britishwingsfan

Britishwingsfan

Legend

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted April 18, 2008 - 06:40 PM

Nervous doesn't even cover it. The news has only slightly eased it.

#16 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,154 posts

Posted April 18, 2008 - 06:44 PM

Wings buzzing already. Came close. Gotta keep it up.

#17 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,154 posts

Posted April 18, 2008 - 06:47 PM

Dr. Fil! Wings on the board!

#18 Britishwingsfan

Britishwingsfan

Legend

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted April 18, 2008 - 06:48 PM

That's a goal! Filppula's first of the playoffs.

#19 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,154 posts

Posted April 18, 2008 - 06:53 PM

Holy hell, great chance by Cleary and Draper shorthanded. Cleary's already looking better than he has of late.

#20 Britishwingsfan

Britishwingsfan

Legend

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted April 18, 2008 - 06:53 PM

That would have been one hell of a goal by Cleary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advanced Forum Search

Current Forum Discussions

Forgot Your Password?