14 replies to this topic

#1 Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Legend

• Members
  • 1,624 posts

Posted February 12, 2008 - 08:12 PM

Anyone out there?

Well, as stated in other topics, Osgood gets the start. The game is already started.

Nashville scores at 17:30 something.

I was gonna say I wanted Fiddler to score for Nashville, but at the start of this and down by two I take it back.

Posted Image

#2 Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Legend

• Members
  • 1,624 posts

Posted February 12, 2008 - 08:14 PM

Erat gets another goal at 16:14 (I think!)

D: Wow, this doesn't look good.

I like this crowd though, they're definitely feeling the game.

Posted Image

#3 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,305 posts

Posted February 12, 2008 - 08:15 PM

Quick start for the Preds. I just got back from getting my pizza (stupid snow) and already up by a pair.

Wings can rebound, I'm not worried yet.

#4 Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Legend

• Members
  • 1,624 posts

Posted February 12, 2008 - 08:17 PM

Wings can rebound, I'm not worried yet.

Then I'll be terrified when needed :therock:

(I know, but thanks to the snow I get to watch the game!)

How do you spell the first goal scorer's name? Radulov? Radolov?

& there they go....again.

Posted Image

#5 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,305 posts

Posted February 12, 2008 - 08:24 PM

No defense at all, now I'm worried.

In comes Howard in the patented "shake things up by switching goalies."

#6 Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Legend

• Members
  • 1,624 posts

Posted February 12, 2008 - 08:40 PM

Geez! This is insane! D: I hope they aren't shut out!

Posted Image

#7 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,305 posts

Posted February 12, 2008 - 08:45 PM

After one... Not feeling as bad as I could. A goal here, a goal there. They can get back in this.

#8 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,305 posts

Posted February 12, 2008 - 09:10 PM

Way to go Franzen! Slowly cutting away at that lead.

#9 Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Legend

• Members
  • 1,624 posts

Posted February 12, 2008 - 09:11 PM

Way to go Franzen! Slowly cutting away at that lead.

Yes, yes, yes!

Posted Image

#10 Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Legend

• Members
  • 1,624 posts

Posted February 12, 2008 - 09:17 PM

Ugh, exactly what we need, more hurt players.

Has Samuelsson come back yet?

Posted Image

#11 Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Legend

• Members
  • 1,624 posts

Posted February 12, 2008 - 09:36 PM

Pavel Datsyuk is awesome :therock:

4 - 2 as of like... a minute ago or so.

Posted Image

#12 skyguy52

skyguy52

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 717 posts

Posted February 12, 2008 - 10:04 PM

A Two goal defici 6 minutes into the the 3rd, but the game is not out of hand. Another goal and the WINGS are right back in this.

#13 Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Legend

• Members
  • 1,624 posts

Posted February 12, 2008 - 10:09 PM

A Two goal defici 6 minutes into the the 3rd, but the game is not out of hand. Another goal and the WINGS are right back in this.

LIFE! Why, hello there :) Someone has joined me.

Let's cross our fingers about converting this powerplay!

This game looks lost :therock: (hahaha, what a cute smiley!)

Posted Image

#14 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,305 posts

Posted February 13, 2008 - 12:08 AM

Thoughts from a bit after the final buzzer...

Prediction for Friday: The losing streak ends. I thought the Wings played a very good game for the last two periods. Take away the ten minutes in the first period where they played like idiots and it's a much different outcome.

As an Osgood fan, it was painful to see those first three goals. Worst defense the Wings have played all year and the Predators are fast enough to make them pay for it. Can't fault Osgood but it sure looks like you can when the only way to wake the team up is to switch goalies.

On the flip side, Jimmy Howard looked sharp in his season debut. I think you can fault him for his one goal more than you can fault Osgood for the three scored on him but only barely. Howard wants Radulov's second back but it really was a nice move.

I'm not worried about the losing streak because, even after this latest loss, the Red Wings still have a ridiculous 21-point lead in the division. As in they could drop another ten games in a row and still be in the lead. The lead for the Western Conference is "only" 12 points but the same thought applies.

So... The streak is ending soon and the Wings are still way out in front. No reason to flip out, everything's still fine.

#15 skyguy52

skyguy52

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 717 posts

Posted February 13, 2008 - 12:01 PM

Look at the WINGS record in their last 15 game, going back to Jan. 10, 2007, a S.O loss to the Wild. Its 8-7 during that span, which includes a 2-2 record in OT and SOs. Also, consider 40 Goals Against during that period & a number of those goals (I won't give a number) were clearly soft goals, meaning goalie error. Are the WINGS in trouble? It depends if "trouble" is defined as going forward, considering their record over the last 15 games is mediocre at best. Despite their over-all record far exceeds that of almost every other team in the league, it is meaningless if they continue the mediocre play of the last 15 games. What is problematic is not so much their mediocre play of the last month, is the fact that each game from now until the end of the season (about 22 games in all) will be increasingly harder to win. It is already clear that opponents are increasingly becoming more desperate for points to gain a play-off birth. This is only going to get worse. Furthermore, Fourteen (14)of the WINGS last fifteen (15) regular season games are against Central division teams. Lets face it, the WINGS have not done well so far against teams in their own division. Can the WINGS hold on to their Division and Conference lead? Probably. But so what, if they can't get their act together enough to get past the first round of the play-offs?

There is more to the story. The WINGS special teams are not up to par. Their power play has been anemic over the last dozen games and their PK is mediocre at best. Zetterberg, a crucial part of their offense, has seemed to have cooled also. This is in part to a back injury (which we don't know yet the full extent of that injury). Should we expect his play to improve, stay th

e same, or stagnate? Only time will tell.

Another problem is that injuries are starting to take a toll. Cleary and Kronwall both have injuries serious enough (especially the case of Cleary) that neither can be expected to produce much for the rest of the regular season. All that can be hoped for is that they are both healthy (Kronwall remains healthy) for the rest of the season.

Are the WINGS faltering. Clearly they have been when looking at their last 15 games. Their standing has been due to exceptional play during the first 50-52 games, while opponents play was marginal at best.

As to the WINGS play vs. Nashville yesterday. I hope its a wake-up call. Certainly the WINGS did not look like the team that leads the league in Wins, points, Goals for and Goals against. I'm still not convinced that the WINGS net minders, Osgood and Hasek, are up to the challenge that lies ahead. While both goalies have combined low goals against so far, their play has often been inconsistent (40 goals allowed in their last 15 games). Clearly, their play will have to improve, if the WINGS are to have any chance for success in the play-offs.

Again, not sure where to place blame for the WINGS mediocre performance of late, but a turnaround is needed and relatively quickly.

There are 5 or 6 Western Conference Teams that will be playing their best game from here on out. The WINGS would do well to decide if they want to coast into the playoffs or start playing again like the want to go to the Finals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advanced Forum Search

Current Forum Discussions

Forgot Your Password?