• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,150 posts

Posted January 22, 2008 - 12:23 AM

As mentioned in the site construction thread (which has meandered off topic and will be retired shortly), I've wanted to do something to replace the team sig graphics for awhile now.

The reason I started doing those was because I didn't want DFHL GMs to feel obligated to use the DFHL team logo as their avatar or create a username based on their team. That would give a way for you to show your DFHL team and free up the avatar for your favorite NHL team or your pet cat or whatever.

The sigs are on their second version and this edition is too wide for the current site template. They also can be used by people who aren't in the league and are, in my opinion, messy in general.

What I want to do instead is add a second avatar, smaller than the main one, tied to everyone's user account and showing which team is theirs. The second avatar would show up in one of the following places...

Posted Image

It would be tied to your user account so you could turn it on and off through your MyDH.N profile and it would always show the right team. The programming would be set up so non-GMs couldn't have one.

The intial batch I put together based on current team logos are as follows...

Posted Image

I hate that Americans logo so this is how the set would look if Sharky had a real logo :rolleyes:

Posted Image

I like that it gives us a look at the team logos on a colored background, meaning that some of the logos that were also used in a recolored form (Atlanta, Minnesota, Montreal Maroons) can be shown that way. Borders that would otherwise be invisible (Cleveland, Quebec) are also there.

The downside is that I would need to update a team's avatar anytime a logo change was made, but I do that anyway so it's not a big deal.

This wouldn't prohibit GMs from using their DFHL team logo as their main avatar or having anything in their sig, it's just an additional option. Like I said, it could be turned off.

I realize not many people are too worried about this but I wanted to see what people thought, if anything. Let me know.

#2 Stormo

Stormo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted January 22, 2008 - 07:45 AM

Those little banners look awesome! Bring'em on. I think they should go where the blue arrow is

champs.png

Memorial Trophy Champions - Season 22

Soelberg Trophy Champions - Seasons 14 and 22 

Inauguration Cup Champions- Season 21

#3 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,150 posts

Posted January 22, 2008 - 10:39 AM

I just went ahead and added it and will continue tweaking as I go. The team avatars are turned on for everyone right now but you can turn them off through your MyDH.N profile (the same place where you can change your name in the GM directory and sign up for email news alerts).

I'm not sure I like the position of the second avatar, pushes small posts to be really tall.

I'll be removing the hosted team sigs shortly, if you want yours back, you can still use it, I'm just not hosting it. I'll send copies to whoever wants them.

#4 NorthStar

NorthStar

All-Star

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted January 22, 2008 - 12:15 PM

OHhh cooolllll team avaters!!! wow... I like it.. and yeah I wonder if my avater might need to be changed to a good logo..only if it results in a relocation of the team and then that problem is solved!! LOL.....
*2010-11 Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves 18-3-0 1st Bobby Hull Division Champs, Jack Riley Trophy as top team in league, IHI finalists*2011-12 Xtreme Hockey International Winnipeg Braves 0-0-0 Bobby Hull Division

#5 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,150 posts

Posted January 22, 2008 - 01:33 PM

and yeah I wonder if my avater might need to be changed to a good logo..only if it results in a relocation of the team and then that problem is solved!! LOL.....

Translation please?

Sounds like you're saying you'll only change the logo if you relocate (because a new set of logos would be available). That's your call, I'm not relocating the Americans though. I don't have to like the logo.

#6 NorthStar

NorthStar

All-Star

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted January 22, 2008 - 01:45 PM

and yeah I wonder if my avater might need to be changed to a good logo..only if it results in a relocation of the team and then that problem is solved!! LOL.....

Translation please?

Sounds like you're saying you'll only change the logo if you relocate (because a new set of logos would be available). That's your call, I'm not relocating the Americans though. I don't have to like the logo.

OHh should have explained a bit more deeply.. my bad...well the current logo I have for my team.. I know it aint much but seems it might be doable to have a new logo for the Americans.. the one ya had suggested for that, is it still available in the Americans logo sectoin to use or not there?

Ah I know as for relocation.. only ya can make that decision... nothing I can do about it but accept the team name and logo as is... lol.... dont wanna tick the commish off eh?? LOL kidding man...

BTW as for the second avater.. I dont see it as well... I thought I had the second avater turned on to show in there... but nothing.. huh?? is there a glitch? hmm
*2010-11 Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves 18-3-0 1st Bobby Hull Division Champs, Jack Riley Trophy as top team in league, IHI finalists*2011-12 Xtreme Hockey International Winnipeg Braves 0-0-0 Bobby Hull Division

#7 Hamilton

Hamilton

All-Star

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted January 22, 2008 - 02:13 PM

I like the idea of the second avatar, it makes it easier to tell what who is the GM of what team.

Posted Image

#8 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,150 posts

Posted January 22, 2008 - 03:19 PM

FYI, I'd added it to the test skin (the one that looks like the rest of DH.N) earlier but not the other one (the IPB default skin). It's on both now.

#9 NorthStar

NorthStar

All-Star

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted January 22, 2008 - 04:41 PM

Gotta say this..the second avater certainly will help for us to find out who the team gm is and etc... great addition as well.. also an idea.. how about clicking on the second avater (team gm and etc) to lead that to the specific team and show the roster of both farm and pro rosters for looking at when deciding to do some trade offers to work with, etc... would be a bit easier if so?? Would that be doable?

#10 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,150 posts

Posted January 22, 2008 - 05:23 PM

Gotta say this..the second avater certainly will help for us to find out who the team gm is and etc... great addition as well.. also an idea.. how about clicking on the second avater (team gm and etc) to lead that to the specific team and show the roster of both farm and pro rosters for looking at when deciding to do some trade offers to work with, etc... would be a bit easier if so?? Would that be doable?

Good idea. Done.

#11 NorthStar

NorthStar

All-Star

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted January 22, 2008 - 05:28 PM

All I can say is gggooooooaaaaaalllll!!! best idea I ever suggested and it works... glad to know it can be doable.. now it save more time to check on the other teams and see what trades can be wheeled out in the minds....

#12 Stormo

Stormo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted January 22, 2008 - 06:12 PM

I'm not sure I like the position of the second avatar, pushes small posts to be really tall.

I know absolutely nothing about programming, but there appears to be room to the right of the primary avatar. Doable?

champs.png

Memorial Trophy Champions - Season 22

Soelberg Trophy Champions - Seasons 14 and 22 

Inauguration Cup Champions- Season 21

#13 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,150 posts

Posted January 22, 2008 - 06:14 PM

I know absolutely nothing about programming, but there appears to be room to the right of the primary avatar. Doable?

I was thinking about that. The more I think about it, the more options there are. I'll keep toying.

Edit: Gotta shoot that one down for now, I'd have to screw with the forum templating system more than I want to in order to get that to work. I think.

Edit 2: Nevermind, I figured it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advanced Forum Search

Current Forum Discussions

Forgot Your Password?