• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,453 posts

Posted November 23, 2007 - 10:22 AM

I figured I'd start this thread early to point out that the Macomb Daily (but some guy who's not MacLeod) says that Osgood will start in Columbus.

I'm making a small road trip down to the game so I'm glad to get to see Osgood in net. That also means I probably won't be contributing much to this thread but I will be trying to take pictures for the multimedia archive while I'm there.

#2 Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Legend

• Members
  • 1,629 posts

Posted November 23, 2007 - 12:49 PM

Oooh! :mad: I love the Blue Jackets arena! Nationwide, I think? (Memory lapse at the moment ;_;)
It's a good arena.

Have fun. :) Take extra good pictures! x]

Posted Image

#3 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,453 posts

Posted November 23, 2007 - 01:43 PM

Yeah, they've got a beautiful arena. I hope the next arena in Detroit is that good.

#4 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,453 posts

Posted November 24, 2007 - 03:31 PM

For those travelling to Columbus to check out a game, we strongly recommend not going to the Hyatt Regency, a couple blocks away from the arena. We were forced to valet the car 'cause the parking structure was already packed, our room wasn't available so we had to take on with double beds instead of a queen, and the free internet isn't free.

Hopefully the game makes up for it.

#5 Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Legend

• Members
  • 1,629 posts

Posted November 24, 2007 - 07:39 PM

For those travelling to Columbus to check out a game, we strongly recommend not going to the Hyatt Regency, a couple blocks away from the arena. We were forced to valet the car 'cause the parking structure was already packed, our room wasn't available so we had to take on with double beds instead of a queen, and the free internet isn't free.

Hopefully the game makes up for it.

Ouch. D: Sorry to hear that. But since I am so easily impressed, Downey's little brawl made me happy. He's fun to watch out there. :)

Malholtra(sp?) scored, I think. ;) I hope it was him. 4 min left to go, 1-0 Jackets.

edit;; 1:30 to go, Columbus up 2-0. HAHAHA, take that all you 'HASEK IS A WASHUP' people. Give him his chance, I mean, the dude's old(still great though :mad:) uhhh, and I'll stop making excuses because I think they could both play better.

Posted Image

#6 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,453 posts

Posted November 24, 2007 - 07:55 PM

First period shows that Hasek isn't washed-up how?

Awful period. One good offensive shift, defense is getting beat along the boards.

Why the hell was the Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom line broken up?

#7 Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Legend

• Members
  • 1,629 posts

Posted November 24, 2007 - 08:15 PM

First period shows that Hasek isn't washed-up how?

I don't know x]. I am the most biased person ever ;) no surprises there. I just felt like saying something? Sure, let's go with this.

Why the hell was the Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom line broken up?

My thoughts exactly. Everytime this happens the Wings seem to fail. D: Then they put them together again at the end in like, the last ten minutes to try and get 2 goals to tie it up, but they only get one in the last three minutes. XD

edit;; ok. Osgood just made awesome saves. :mad: I can swallow my bias for a moment and agree he is outplaying Hasek. :<

Posted Image

#8 Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Legend

• Members
  • 1,629 posts

Posted November 24, 2007 - 08:26 PM

Homer scores to have the Wings trail by one.

5 seconds later Pavel ties it up! :mad: Awesome goal. Glad to see him taking some shots.

Posted Image

#9 Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Legend

• Members
  • 1,629 posts

Posted November 24, 2007 - 08:32 PM

Downey is basically...my new favorite player. :mad: He's hilarious.

Too bad they got tired so fast, they actually let them FIGHT!

Posted Image

#10 Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Legend

• Members
  • 1,629 posts

Posted November 24, 2007 - 08:45 PM

Incredible diving save by Andreas Lilja! ;) Amazing, reminds me of the diving save Lidstrom made last season with the wide open net. :mad:

Between 10-20 (forgot what it was, I think 16, though x]) seconds left on a 5 on 3 for Columbus. Let's hope the Wings' PK gets strong through intermission.

Posted Image

#11 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,453 posts

Posted November 24, 2007 - 08:50 PM

Ozzie came up huge for a bit there. Defense is much more solid but they're losing the battles along the boards still.

Homer's late penalty was weak.

#12 Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Legend

• Members
  • 1,629 posts

Posted November 24, 2007 - 09:51 PM

All in all, entertaining game.

Even though they lost, was it still worth it, Clark?

Posted Image

#13 choyer

choyer

All-Star

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted November 24, 2007 - 09:52 PM

Oh man, Osgood is playing extremely well. Definitely the Red Wings player of the game tonight. Columbus capitalized well during the shootout, so I guess the better team won tonight. I was shocked at the saves that Osgood was making tonight, pure excellence. I'm happy to see Hasek on the bench where he belongs.
Posted Image[indent=1][size=3]

#14 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,453 posts

Posted November 24, 2007 - 10:09 PM

Very worth it, great game, talked with some fun Jackets fans.

Nash's move in the shootout was great. I said before Zetterberg's shot that he would try the Forsberg/Jokinen move again and it looked like he wanted to but had to pull it back at the last second.

I haven't checked my photos yet but I was shooting during the shootout and during both fights so we'll see what came out. I imagine I'll be grabbing some video when I get home to my DVR, as well.

#15 choyer

choyer

All-Star

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted November 24, 2007 - 10:17 PM

I'm now a huge fan of the Central Divison. I love it!
Posted Image[indent=1][size=3]

#16 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,453 posts

Posted November 24, 2007 - 10:45 PM

Since I was at tonight's game in Columbus and won't make it back home to check out replays, I decided not to do a game recap just yet (if at all) and just to a comparison of the Nationwide Arena in-game experience to that of Joe Louis Arena.

The fact that Nationwide Arena is 20 years newer than the Joe is hard to miss. It still has a cleanliness that has long left JLA. The main concourse may actually be narrower than that at Joe Louis but they have at least four concourses to spread out the traffic. While the Joe has one for the "normal people" in the main bowl and one for the suites, Nationwide has one for the lower bowl, one for the club seats, one for the lower suites, and one for the upper bowl. There could be more above it, I don't know.

Before the game they run an actual pre-game show on the scoreboard. It recaps Columbus' last game, their opponent's last game, yesterday around the NHL, and gives a preview of the coming game. Detroit doesn't even try this. How hard would it be?

Exiting the arena after the game is much easier because there are doors specifically reserved for exiting. They're not open before the game so they're not a security concern but they are opened afterwards so when you have 20,000 all trying to leave, they're not being channelled to two sets of doors.

There are at least five restaurants within a two-minute walk from the Arena. Those are just the ones I counted between there and my hotel during a pre-game walk. Nothing is within two minutes of Joe Louis Arena.

Now, I'll argue forever that none of this is required. I love the Joe because it's a great place to watch hockey. That's all it's good for, though. Casual fans want more. Casual fans want food. Casual fans want to be able to get in and out. How would it hurt the hockey-watching experience to have more doors in the next Detroit arena? How would it hurt to have more concourses?

If the Wings are trying to attract casual fans now, that pre-game show must be implemented immediately. It's a brilliant idea to get the fans who haven't been watching every game up to speed on what to expect in the game they're about to watch. But the Wings will never do it because it takes effort, the same reason why the Steve Yzerman jersey retirement ceremony wasn't released on DVD.

Just some thoughts from here in Columbus. More on the game later.

#17 SYfanSD

SYfanSD

Legend

• Members
  • 2,420 posts

Posted November 25, 2007 - 11:21 AM

My thoughts on the game:

First of all that is one of the best games that I have seen in a long time. That was a conference final/stanley cup final caliber game that had a little bit of everything. Almost as good as some of the games against Colorado.

It was also nice to see that the refs let them play their game however, there were a few calls that were let go (See the high hit on Zata). Even though some were allowed it was nice to see a game that was decided by the players and not the refs.

I was starting to wonder what was going on after the first period then the madness of the second broke out and I was glued to the TV. I was even afraid to log on because I might miss something.

If there was any question about the Wings getting a little meaner this game highlights how we have gone back to a little old time hockey. The hits from Drake, Kronner, Lilja, and the fights by Downey show that we can be just as gritty as we are pretty.

If you still have any questions about who the number one goaltender should be, then you need your head examined. Ozzie is back to his 1998 days. Hasek needs to go down or retire, period!

The only downside to this game was Ozzie's performance in the shootout. That is where he has to come up big. One maybe two shots is forgivable, but three? Come on!

All in all it was an awesome game! I just wish I could have made it to Nationwide to see it in person!
Posted Image

#18 skyguy52

skyguy52

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 717 posts

Posted November 25, 2007 - 04:28 PM

My thoughts on the game:

First of all that is one of the best games that I have seen in a long time. That was a conference final/stanley cup final caliber game that had a little bit of everything. Almost as good as some of the games against Colorado.

It was also nice to see that the refs let them play their game however, there were a few calls that were let go (See the high hit on Zata). Even though some were allowed it was nice to see a game that was decided by the players and not the refs.

I was starting to wonder what was going on after the first period then the madness of the second broke out and I was glued to the TV. I was even afraid to log on because I might miss something.

If there was any question about the Wings getting a little meaner this game highlights how we have gone back to a little old time hockey. The hits from Drake, Kronner, Lilja, and the fights by Downey show that we can be just as gritty as we are pretty.

If you still have any questions about who the number one goaltender should be, then you need your head examined. Ozzie is back to his 1998 days. Hasek needs to go down or retire, period!

The only downside to this game was Ozzie's performance in the shootout. That is where he has to come up big. One maybe two shots is forgivable, but three? Come on!

All in all it was an awesome game! I just wish I could have made it to Nationwide to see it in person!

Well said. Ditto!

#19 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,453 posts

Posted November 26, 2007 - 10:44 AM

For those who aren't subscribed to the RSS feed, my photos from the game are now available...

http://www.detroitho...date=2007-11-24

#20 Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Mathieu_Datsyuk132351

Legend

• Members
  • 1,629 posts

Posted November 26, 2007 - 05:00 PM

For those who aren't subscribed to the RSS feed, my photos from the game are now available...

http://www.detroitho...date=2007-11-24

You may just be the greatest person ever. :mad:

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advanced Forum Search

Current Forum Discussions

Forgot Your Password?