• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,452 posts

Posted March 20, 2007 - 07:49 PM

The Wings (temporarily) make up their game-in-hand on Nashville tonight. A win puts them back on top of the Central (and the Western Conference) but the road team has lost every game of the Detroit-Calgary series this season.

Johan Franzen returns to the lineup, with Darryl Bootland as a healthy scratch.

#2 Glove_Dropper

Glove_Dropper

Power Forward

• Banned
  • 124 posts

Posted March 20, 2007 - 08:02 PM

Well, there is one certainty, and that's Calgary hates to lose at home. I'd expect Detroit to be a sitting duck tonight, but I hope I'm wrong. :)

Anyway, nice summation on the game tonight. I would like to see Bertuzzi tonight.

Go Wings.
Who are you? This is the definitive question. "You are who you say you are and will be."

#3 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,452 posts

Posted March 20, 2007 - 08:51 PM

Wings really just survived the first. Flames controlled the flow but still couldn't get too much going. I don't have an awful feeling yet.

#4 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,452 posts

Posted March 20, 2007 - 09:05 PM

And that would be why I didn't have the awful feeling. What a shot by Datsyuk.

#5 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,452 posts

Posted March 20, 2007 - 09:34 PM

Ugh. Dom, they're not calling anything on the Flames, don't waste your time trying to draw one, just stand up and make the damn stop.

#6 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,452 posts

Posted March 20, 2007 - 10:28 PM

I don't think the Wings got set up in the Calgary zone once all game. All their shots were on rushes or from the perimeter. Strong D by the Flames.

Of course, the 5-1 PP advantage had to help them. Unless I'm counting wrong (possible), in the last four games the Wings have had 13 power plays compared to 27 for their opponents. Man, they've gotta be more disciplined. :) And that number is 5-18 if you take out the Vancouver game.

#7 skyguy52

skyguy52

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 717 posts

Posted March 21, 2007 - 04:54 PM

The Wings taking alot of penalties. I have to wonder if its because they are struggling on defense and on the back check against stronger, faster teams. The Wings could definitely need some help on the fore check too. They have not had a sustained offense the past two games (Vancouver and Calgary). Despite having key players out, the fact they can't generate the offense, along with poor performance in their own zone, I have concerns. There is very little difference, i.e. skill, power, by the top eight Western Conference teams. Getting out of the first round will be a challenge, no matter if the Wings are 1st or 4th. :)

#8 foster016

foster016

Grinder

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted March 22, 2007 - 09:29 AM

couldn't agree with you anymore, Detroit needs the likes of bertuzzi, zetterberg, and the goal-scoring cleary back in the lineup. Either way, they need to start skating a lot harder for the whole game, not just a period, because thats what it takes in the playoffs.

#9 skyguy52

skyguy52

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 717 posts

Posted March 22, 2007 - 02:17 PM

It doesn't matter how many games a team wins in the regular season. A team with the best record can be gone in the first 7-10 days of the first round. Its playoff time now and the Wings have to make up their minds that they may have to do it without the likes of keys players. We need grinders, smart, determined guys that score the "ugly" goals, who step up with play that makes opportunities to win. Thats how games are won in the play-offs. Fancy stick handling, fancy passes and most points in the regular season don't translate to wins in the play-off stretch :) . Go WINGS!!!!!!

#10 SYfanSD

SYfanSD

Legend

• Members
  • 2,417 posts

Posted March 24, 2007 - 05:21 PM

The only thing the regular season shows is whether or not a team deserves to be in the post season. See last years edmonton Oilers, they were what the eighth seed and went to the finals? You need to have a big heart to win in the post season!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advanced Forum Search

Current Forum Discussions

Forgot Your Password?