• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Red33

Red33

Rookie

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted February 24, 2007 - 04:11 PM

i'm curious to know what others think about the possibility of todd bertuzzi wearing the winged wheel? i've heard talks that juri hudler is what the asking price is (local radio). if his back is healthy, and he's mentally back into the game, i think he could be a big help. i'd find it ironic to see bertuzzi and chelios playing together.

#2 Glove_Dropper

Glove_Dropper

Power Forward

• Banned
  • 124 posts

Posted February 24, 2007 - 04:55 PM

i'm curious to know what others think about the possibility of todd bertuzzi wearing the winged wheel? i've heard talks that juri hudler is what the asking price is (local radio). if his back is healthy, and he's mentally back into the game, i think he could be a big help. i'd find it ironic to see bertuzzi and chelios playing together.

Hi Drapes,

I agree with your perspective on the Bertuzzi possibility. I would put the wager out there that if the only asking price for him was Hudler, we will have Bertuzzi in-house by the end of the weekend.

I also have some concerns about the mental health, but who can really tell until he's put into a situation that brings him to a winning club. Going from Vancouver to Florida must have been a major adjustment for him considering. I personally like his style of play, as I remember last year with Vancouver he was able to come into Detrooit and score a Hat Trick. Very physical player when needed and has good hands around the net. Certainly wouldn't be a bad pickup this close to the trade deadline.

As far as the Chelios compatibility.... winning has a way of solving all interpersonal relationships. ;) (usually anyway)

Go Wings.
Who are you? This is the definitive question. "You are who you say you are and will be."

#3 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,156 posts

Posted February 24, 2007 - 05:04 PM

At the start of the season I would have done Hudler-for-Bertuzzi in a heartbeat. Now, though, Hudler's come on so well lately (not always scoring, but playing much smarter hockey) that we're finally seeing what people originally predicted he could be. It would suck to have to give that up for a rental.

I don't know what teams are asking for, though, so I can't suggest something else. It's easy to say "Oh, deal a first-round pick for Player X" when you have no clue if Player X's current team wants a first-round pick for him. Similarly, I could say "Trade Tomas Kopecky for Bertuzzi" but why would the Panthers make that move if they thought they could get Hudler?

#4 Glove_Dropper

Glove_Dropper

Power Forward

• Banned
  • 124 posts

Posted February 24, 2007 - 07:50 PM

At the start of the season I would have done Hudler-for-Bertuzzi in a heartbeat. Now, though, Hudler's come on so well lately (not always scoring, but playing much smarter hockey) that we're finally seeing what people originally predicted he could be. It would suck to have to give that up for a rental.

I don't know what teams are asking for, though, so I can't suggest something else. It's easy to say "Oh, deal a first-round pick for Player X" when you have no clue if Player X's current team wants a first-round pick for him. Similarly, I could say "Trade Tomas Kopecky for Bertuzzi" but why would the Panthers make that move if they thought they could get Hudler?

Wait a minute. Let's put this into perspective. What we're talking about is Bertuzzi for Hudler. I have been watching every game when possible for the past few years, and if you tell me that Hudler is finally paying off, well I got some Real estate in the Florida Everglades to sell ya.

I don't believe that the trade for Bertuzzi would be held up for Hudler. If anything they (Flori don't want just Hudler and I believe that this is the issue the Wings are having with it, if indeed there are talks ongoing. And who says this is only a rental. Bertuzzi is around the age where he would love a home like Detroit. I once recall a player that came to the Wings as a problem child in the NHL, but came to call it home for a while. I'm not saying this guy is a Shanny, but the possibilities are there for something special. Yes, Hudler could be special, but man that guy has been in the org. a loooong time.

Lastly, I would love to think that Holland is actually ready to press the cap for a second possibility (Two acquisitions). I know you mentioned this in an earlier discussion, but I thought this topic discussion more fitting. So, possibly a Bertuzzi and a, "Use you Head for a Mop and Ass for a Broom," tough guy. <_<

Go Wings.
Who are you? This is the definitive question. "You are who you say you are and will be."

#5 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,156 posts

Posted February 24, 2007 - 07:54 PM

Definitely not saying that Hudler's paying off, just that we're starting to see brilliance from him. It'd suck to have wasted all this time waiting for him to get good only to deal him. And if it was Hudler for Bertuzzi straight-up, hell yeah I'd do that, but they probably want a #1 as well.

#6 Glove_Dropper

Glove_Dropper

Power Forward

• Banned
  • 124 posts

Posted February 24, 2007 - 08:01 PM

Definitely not saying that Hudler's paying off, just that we're starting to see brilliance from him. It'd suck to have wasted all this time waiting for him to get good only to deal him. And if it was Hudler for Bertuzzi straight-up, hell yeah I'd do that, but they probably want a #1 as well.

Whew, for a minute there I was wondering about ya. You are probably right again, a #1 and possibly Kopecky too.

I'm so glad I stumbled into this Forum! I have no Old Time Hockey friends out here.

Let's go boys....Whoop them Preds!!!

Go Wings.

#7 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,156 posts

Posted February 25, 2007 - 11:07 AM

With Tkachuk off to Atlanta for a pretty penny, I think Guerin's going to be too expensive for Holland. Bertuzzi becomes more likely every day, especially every day he doesn't play.

#8 choyer

choyer

All-Star

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted February 25, 2007 - 03:39 PM

I think that Bertuzzi would be an excellent fit for the Red Wings. In my mind, he would replace the role of "The Enforcer" which was left behind by McCarty when traded to Calgary. It will also bring back some of the force from the days of Konstantinov. I think he is a good fit if Detroit is looking to add some size and grit (which we all know they need greatly). His price, which everybody here has been discussing, is the only problem. A few months back it would look like a steal to trade Hudler, a draft pick, and possibly another prospect for Todd Bertuzzi. However, Hudler and Filppula have greatly stepped up their game and look like a bright future for the Wings. It's going to be an extremely difficult decision for Ken Holland to make. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next day and a half. Who knows, Florida may be looking for more than just a prospect and a draft pick. This just adds to the pressure being put upon Holland's shoulders. But we all know he will do the right thing.
Posted Image[indent=1][size=3]

#9 SYfanSD

SYfanSD

Legend

• Members
  • 2,343 posts

Posted February 25, 2007 - 04:58 PM

As much as I don't like Bertuzzi I have to say the Wings need a player like him:

1. The Wings have lost the grit that they had in the mid to late 90's
2. Now that the young guys are starting to bloom they need someone out there that will make someone think twice about cheap shotting them. (We have all seen Dats and Z take a few)
3. It will help us take out Buffalo
4. Someone who can lay out Kariya!

I just want to make it past the first round, he can help us!
Posted Image

#10 choyer

choyer

All-Star

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted February 25, 2007 - 05:02 PM

I agree. I never really liked Bertuzzi, but once a player like this is sought after by the Wings, it makes them glorious. I also agree with you about needing an enforcer to backup Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Does anyone know what line he would fit into if he is traded to Detroit? I was thinking m aybe with Lang and Cleary, but I have no idea.
Posted Image[indent=1][size=3]

#11 Glove_Dropper

Glove_Dropper

Power Forward

• Banned
  • 124 posts

Posted February 25, 2007 - 08:28 PM

I agree. I never really liked Bertuzzi, but once a player like this is sought after by the Wings, it makes them glorious. I also agree with you about needing an enforcer to backup Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Does anyone know what line he would fit into if he is traded to Detroit? I was thinking m aybe with Lang and Cleary, but I have no idea.

As fas as a line combination..... who gives a rats ass, get'em and make the adjustments later. He will probably offset a lot of synergy between the team at first, but man...POW!!!, I see him making a huge impact if he comes to Detroit.

What about the porous D, this could be a problem with an aging and tired Hasek in net. The swing rotates two directions. Do we have the scoring to make up for weak defense, or do we stand and deliver. With what we have now, I don't see the team standing on the fence.

Go Wings.

#12 SYfanSD

SYfanSD

Legend

• Members
  • 2,343 posts

Posted February 25, 2007 - 11:47 PM

Our D is not that weak! After all it is the reason why the Wings are 4th in goals against and 1 or 2 in shots against
Posted Image

#13 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,156 posts

Posted February 26, 2007 - 10:57 AM

The thing about trading for D... Who do you replace? Lilja is really the only truely weak link that I see on the Detroit blue line and he's already been pushed down to #7 (and I'd love to see him dealt).

Re: Bertuzzi... Bob MacKenzie at TSN says "This guy is going to get traded." No teams mentioned, just that "There are offers on the table right now, and the Panthers just have to decide if one is acceptable."

#14 Glove_Dropper

Glove_Dropper

Power Forward

• Banned
  • 124 posts

Posted February 26, 2007 - 08:21 PM

Our D is not that weak! After all it is the reason why the Wings are 4th in goals against and 1 or 2 in shots against

Our D in at best questionable. What team have you been watching lately? The reason why the Wings are 4th in goals against is partly because Hasek can still stand on his head on occasion. Not to mention the greatest Defensive player in 10years is on the ice against the others best scorers. Also, a puck handling team tends to have the puck more often then those who are not. But this doesn't mean that when the other team has the puck they don't score. Example:

Edmonton the other night had one shot 3/4 the way through the second period, but when they did take a shot, it went in. Quality is always better than quantity when it counts (playoff chances).

So Yeah, I could see how you could assume our D is not questionable, when you see the stats and not the real game, it's easy. Wake up, and don't get boooed!

Go Wings.

#15 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,156 posts

Posted February 26, 2007 - 11:36 PM

Over at Bird's place, AJL said that TSN reported the following...

"The NY Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, Detroit Red Wings and possibly the NY Islanders may have interest in Florida's Todd Bertuzzi."

As I said there, I liked it better when TSN said the Wings were the only interested team as it'd keep the price down. A bidding war is no good.

Edit: Combined with the bit about Hussey being called up that I mentioned in the Calder thread, I'm almost certain Bertuzzi will be coming to Detroit in exchange for one forward and (probably) something else. Since he's still out, that would leave the Wings short a forward, hence the need to call up Hussey.

#16 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,156 posts

Posted February 27, 2007 - 08:31 AM

Looks like my theory about why Hussey was called up is wrong, the DetNews reports that Zetterberg is out tonight. Holland did say that they're still looking, though.

#17 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,156 posts

Posted February 27, 2007 - 02:17 PM

Bertuzzi is a Red Wing but the trade call hasn't happened.

#18 Glove_Dropper

Glove_Dropper

Power Forward

• Banned
  • 124 posts

Posted February 27, 2007 - 02:29 PM

Bertuzzi is a Red Wing but the trade call hasn't happened.

Holland and the Management team, TAKE a Bow!!! Really excellent trade day today.

OK, since I'm never happy, let's get'er done.......Complete. Trade for Bertuzzi is done!

Let's get a defenseman while we're rockin. I still believe we need at least one more guy!

Go Wings!!

#19 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,156 posts

Posted February 27, 2007 - 02:34 PM

Conditional pick and a prospect from juniors. That means they kept Justin Abdelkader, which keeps me happy.

#20 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,156 posts

Posted February 27, 2007 - 02:51 PM

The prospect is Shawn Matthias, I know nothing about him but it's not Abdelkader and it's not Jakub Kindl so I'm happy.

I would just like to say that this is exactly the move I was looking for the Wings to make. Very happy right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advanced Forum Search

Current Forum Discussions

Forgot Your Password?