You know that Gretzky is not happy! :therock:
Posted Image

#3 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,392 posts

Posted October 11, 2006 - 09:55 PM

Damn, I get pulled out for the night and look what I miss.

#4 Slapstick

Slapstick

Rookie

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted October 12, 2006 - 10:46 AM

That is 14 goals against and 3 goals for the Yotes in the last 2 games (CBJ beat them 5-1)

#5 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,392 posts

Posted October 12, 2006 - 11:19 AM

Ouch, didn't know Phoenix was having that much trouble. Early in the season though, and it's a team that made a lot of changes over the summer.

#6 detroitredwings00

detroitredwings00

Grinder

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted October 12, 2006 - 01:53 PM

Funny thing is they put Cujo in all the time. Looks like we wont be seeing Phoenix in the playoffs this year :therock:

#7 Slapstick

Slapstick

Rookie

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted October 13, 2006 - 10:02 AM

Phoenix has a really good team this year, the problem is they are great with other teams.

Everyone knows Owen Nolan was once a great player for San Jose, then he was blackballed by the Maple Leafs and thrown to the fourth line. Then he got injured. This was terrible for his career since he had to miss basically two seasons worth (maybe 3, I have no clue how far into the pre-lockout season he missed) of hockey. He needs to get back into shape and then maybe regain at least a 20 goal form. He also needs to be ready to a be a player the team can depend on and look to for leadership.

How about Jeremy Roenick? Now here is a guy I really have a lot of respect for. Why? Because he never was afraid to speak his mind when the league was doing something wrong, and if someone wanted to question his right to criticize, the scoresheet would not lie. He was pretty consistently good from 1988-2004 even though he had a few concussion problems. Then he was hit with a big concussion in the end of the 2003-2004 season and maybe never fully recovered. Or maybe it was the lockout that no veteran player was prepared for (except for Captain America [Chelios]) which swept a year away snd conditioning for many players went down. Or maybe it was just the Kings were a lot of good players who were never really gelled. I bet on the last one, and the sad thing is he is in the same situation here in Phoenix. But a big difference is that he is not in Phoenix for big points, he is their to keep the team stable. Maybe he can be great again, maybe he will fizzle. Or maybe he will become the leader the team so desperately needs and show the team how to win, even if he does not put up the points.

Ed Jovonovski is another great player that is new to the Coyotes. He also missed a lot of time, being out most of last season's end stretch with, I believe, a knee injury. Now I have had my share of knee injuries, and I can tell you my worst was a hyperextension from maybe six years that still makes my leg act funny someitmes (but then agian I am definately not in an athletes condition). What I am getting at is that leg injuries, especially kne injuries, can take quite a while to heal. He also needs to be ready to take on a leadership role with this team.

Another key name is our old friend Curtis Joseph. He was spectacular at times hear, then lackluster at others. He nearly carried us passed Calgary before the locout, but the team just could not score. Now in Phoenix his behind a less stingy defense. No more future Hall of famers in Lidstrom and Chelios and other stars such as Schneider and Hatcher (I would rather not debate how much he helped due to injury) and then other good dmen in Wooley and one of my favorite players Jiri Fischer to protect him. Now he has a formidable defense in front of him in Jovonovski, Morris, Boynton, Michealik, Yandle and Ballard (though he is out for a while) but all come with question marks. Can Jovo reform? Can Morris be that franchise defender everyone always says he will soon become? Can Boynton become that great defender from before the lockout and not the guy who was tossed out for being greedy? Are Michealik and Yandle ready for the big N? When will Ballard be back? Last season Cujo was great and did all he could for the team before they quit on him mid-season, is his slump now due to anger against his team mates?

Finally, Shane Doan. With the right Center, he would be a 40-50 goal player easily. He is a prototypical power forward ready to explode, but he never has. Why? I have no clue, maybe too much pressure caused by his captaincy and being called the teams future so often by the leagues previous wonder boy that is Gretzky. Maybe he needs a fresh start, a trade to get his career to meet its potential (I would not mind seeing him trade in that ugly purplish red color for a red and white uniform), or maybe he needs the new veterans to take over and be leaders with or without him being one as well.

The last note is of the rest of the key forwardss. Nagy is great, but nver plays a whole season. that is not good for a key player on this team. Comrie had a solid year last season and is good enough to do even better. His small stature may hurt him, but that excuse i getting old after Gionta scored so much last year. On to Saprykin, the last key player. He has really neve been "that guy" he was supposed to be. You know, the one who gets a point per game. Everyone knows he still has it in him, he just never reached whatever it is.

#8 SYfanSD

SYfanSD

Legend

• Members
  • 2,381 posts

Posted October 13, 2006 - 12:32 PM

Very impressive! Still 9-2 though
Posted Image

#9 YzerFan19

YzerFan19

Legend

• Admin
  • 11,392 posts

Posted October 13, 2006 - 12:42 PM

Very impressive! Still 9-2 though

Heh, all too true.

For the sake of the league, I like seeing young teams like Phoenix finally pull together / find the missing piece and start playing well... As long as they're not playing the Wings. :therock:

#10 detroitredwings00

detroitredwings00

Grinder

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted October 13, 2006 - 02:10 PM

I know many people may not believe me, but really all a good hockey team in my perspective, is a Great Goalie. :therock:

o yea im not a rookie anymore this means extra popcorn tonight when i watch the game against the sabers :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advanced Forum Search

Current Forum Discussions

Forgot Your Password?